Thunderbird home to roost

firebirdjake

Reaction score
Hooray!
I've just become the proud owner of a new old project amp, '69 or so Guild 2-12 Thunderbird combo! The pictures are taken and will be up as soon as a friend assists me unless I figure out how to upload them in the meantime. And thanks to those who have uploaded pictures and information here which enabled me to make an informed purchase!
Looking forward to a restoration,
:mrgreen: Jake

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Jake and welcome to LTG! Post again if you need some help with the pics. CJ

firebirdjake

Reaction score
Uploading pics seems to be my computer age Achille's heel :lol: . I have an older camera which uses 3.5 floppys so I can physically get them IN the computer, anyway, but it would be nice to share them with others! Can't wait to show off those pretty rust traces from pin to pin on the power tube sockets, they'll get me a free EKG!
Resto Ho!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Looking forward to some nice looking vintage rust. :wink: After you get your pics in the pc, you have to get them out on the web in one of the photo host sites like Photobucket; free up to a point ... there are others too. The software will not allow you to attach your pics to a post or paste them directly in. You have to bring in the IMG address; after that, the software knows where to go and look to find your stuff. CJ

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Rome wasn't built in a day ... nor iron bars a cage. It takes a while. We have several terrific players who know all the diminished 9th chords and still rely on teenagers for PC / BB functional assistance ... it's sad really :( :wink:

matsickma

Reaction score
Sweet!

What generation thunderbird amp do you have: 2nd generation with 2-12's, 2-channels with a master Volume control and 7591A finals or 3rd generation with 2-12, 2-channels (NO Master Vol) and 6L6 finals?

M

firebirdjake

Reaction score
Matsickma- 2-12, no master vol, 6L6s currently in there but I am not 100% that they are right yet. Default- what's an NC Thunderbird? Capnjuan- yes, sir, sad indeed but every day I learn a little more. Setting up photo account and looking forward to loading 20 or so pictures with rust AND cobwebs, hotcha!

firebirdjake

Reaction score
MVC-002F.jpg
Testing..1....2...3....did this work?

firebirdjake

Reaction score
MVC-023F.jpg

MVC-022F.jpg

MVC-021F.jpg

MVC-020F.jpg

MVC-019F.jpg

MVC-018F.jpg

MVC-017F.jpg

MVC-016F.jpg

MVC-015F.jpg

MVC-014F.jpg

MVC-013F.jpg

MVC-012F.jpg

MVC-011F.jpg

MVC-010F.jpg

MVC-009F.jpg

MVC-008F.jpg

MVC-007F.jpg

MVC-006F.jpg

MVC-005F.jpg

MVC-004F.jpg

MVC-003F.jpg

MVC-002F.jpg

MVC-001F.jpg
Well, here she is in all her rusty, cobwebbed glory! Hope the pics are clear, newbie photopaster here :)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Sheesh Jake ... graphic! You got them in ok ... next time, if you hit the enter key between the

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The nice thing about Guild combos is they're too big to say, "Wow, I forgot I had this!"

The bad thing about Guild combos is they're too big to avoid her saying, "Where did that <bleep> thing come from?!!!"

:D

firebirdjake

Reaction score
Capnjuan, yes it is alive, weak/noisy reverb, most all controls seem to function, I cleaned the dust & webs out and scraped (gently) the rust traces I hope were visible in the power tube socket photos off and idled the amp while turning knobs. Channel 1 (non fx) is relatively quiet, 2 is scratchy but my next move will be to spray the pots & switches with control lube/cleaner. The speakers seem fine but so far any playing was strictly low volume testing. I think I like it! :D btw, default , they are hard to miss, huh? My lady was somewhat less than enthusiastic, shall we say. :lol:

john_kidder

Reaction score
Default said:
Maybe a nice doily?

I have a musical gathering at my place every year around Valentine's Day - only love or love gone wrong songs. I call it the Valentine's Day Doily, and no-one has ever been able to guess why.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Jake; I guess you didn't want to hurt our feelings by posting an Ampeg on a Guild BB ... with your permission ... these are pics of one of Jake's other loves; an Ampeg Rerverberberberberberocket R12RA Schematic except w/ 7591s

MVC-032F.jpg

MVC-031F.jpg

More here Wassa matta Jake; couldn't find one with more rust and cobwebs? :wink: Nice-looking rig! CJ

firebirdjake

Reaction score
John, thanks.
Love the tone of that little Reverberocket, I do. Looked at it and the Thunderbird sitting next to each other and thought " Mutt & Jeff" :lol: , one as compact as it could be made and one about as big! But really, I don't deliberately search the rustiest & dustiest........they just seem to find me. Guess next I'll have to reveal the "Silvertone #1484 Scratching Post" model . Ugly amp contest?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
firebirdjake said:
... Love the tone of that little Reverberocket ... Ugly amp contest?
You are not alone; we have several Rocketeers here who feel the same way. As for an ugly amp contest, I'm in; I have one that's so homely, it hides from the camera ... J

firebirdjake

Reaction score
Oohhh boy, sounds like fun. Get the shatterproof lenses, Maw! :lol: Life is good, more folks with a sense of humor and appreciation of tube tone.