Thunder I Twin - 2 Prog Cable to 3 Prong Cable

adam79

Reaction score
Hey. I have a Thunder I Twin that still has the original 2 prong cable. I want to swap it out for a 3 prong cable, but I'm not sure how to do it.. and don't want to pay the $50 minimum for a tech to swap it. If I bough one of those 2 prong to 3 prong adapters would it solve the problem without me having to swap out the cable?

Thanks,
-Adam

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Adam; no, that won't do it. What you need is an 'extra' wire - a ground wire - that, in the event that 110VAC 'house power' or even direct current leaking from somewhere in the amp has an electrical 'path' to ground. If you are in your house, that ground wire from your amp mates with a wire in the outlet box that runs back and terminates on an electrical strip or 'bus' in the service panel. The ground bus is connected to a copper clad metal rod outside stuck 8 feet or so in the ground. Pay the money ... save a life ... what was that old public service advertising slogan: "the life you save may be your own". :wink: CJ

adam79

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hi Adam; no, that won't do it.

DOH! So much for the easy way out.. What about the people who bought the amp in the 60s and had to use the two prong cable?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
adam79 said:
capnjuan said:
Hi Adam; no, that won't do it.
DOH! So much for the easy way out.. What about the people who bought the amp in the 60s and had to use the two prong cable?
Truth is my friend that many of them and many homeowners too got shocked; some lived to tell about it, others ... As far as amps go, it was standard practice 'back in the day' to put in a capacitor from one or the other in-bound power legs to ground mostly to shunt unwanted squeal, noise, gungy stuff coming down the power hose to ground a/k/a the chassis.

Fine ... except that consistent with standard US mfrg practices of the time, it was the cheapest part they could put in and still get a UL label. Over time and being subject to normal, and occasionally abnormal, stress, those capacitors age and the older they get, the less reliable they become ... not unlike your Uncle Elmer's late 40s Army surplus Jeep that he swears one day he'll rebuild ...... but doesn't ever get around to it. So it is with these amps; were they're torn down and rehabbed, the first two things are the cord and that stinkin' cap. It isn't called a 'death cap' just to be gothic. :wink: