my take on pooneil

mellowgerman

Reaction score
i've been trying for years now to nail jack casady's 1969 overdriven sound and i think i may have come as close as possible without having his exact gear. to record this clip i used my lovely starfire, my hybrid fender bassman 1200 amp, and my EV 1x18 cab. However, it is recorded via the line out of the amp, so sadly you don't get to hear it through a vintage 1x18 cab like i did... please excuse the mistakes and moments of sloppyness. i find that this one's kind of tought to do without the drums to back it. also at this point i had been playing for two hours and my fingers were starting to lag behind my brain. but anywho, here's my attempt at a "ballad of you and me and pooneil" bass solo:
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=k9eztY

mellowgerman

Reaction score
yup. mainly that one and the version from the "sweeping up the spotlight: live at the fillmore" cd. parts from the family dog cd as well.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Ah, I could play that better in my sleep.

Too bad I cannot play it as well when I am awake! Nicely Done!

Reaction score
Very cool. If you're really on a quest to get Jack's tone, you might want to try out a Line 6 Bass Pod. There's a Versatone model in it - called, for some strange reason "Motor City" - that gets pretty close to the original Versatone sound. Or you could try to get a Versatone; they come up on Ebay every so often.

I'm lucky - a friend of mine in L.A. searched for years for one, then sold it to me when he stopped playing bass.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
R D Maynard said:
Very cool. If you're really on a quest to get Jack's tone, you might want to try out a Line 6 Bass Pod. There's a Versatone model in it - called, for some strange reason "Motor City" - that gets pretty close to the original Versatone sound. Or you could try to get a Versatone; they come up on Ebay every so often.

I'm lucky - a friend of mine in L.A. searched for years for one, then sold it to me when he stopped playing bass.

oh man you're soo lucky!!! i've been constantly searching ebay for one for about 4 years now. i missed one a couple months ago, that didn't meet the reserve. i had the money then and was willing to pay any resonable (or slightly above) amount for it; so i emailed the guy and he said that he no longer wished to part with it!!! i was heartbroken. someday though....