Original electronics for a Starfire

Reaction score
I bought a '67 Starfire recently that I love, but it isn't all original. The neck pickup is a Darkstar, and the bridge pickup is a Guild humbucker. I saw some other pictures of 2-pickup '67s and it looked like they had a toggle switch on the lower horn, along with a knob close next to it, in addition to the four knobs around the f-hole. Mine has four knobs and the bass boost switch, but the two knobs to the right of the f-hole (looking at the bass standing up) don't have the little metal dots next to the full position. The pickup toggle switch is on the upper horn closest to the player like on a Les Paul. So did my SF originally have a single neck pickup, and someone added the bridge pickup, knobs, switch, etc?

Also, I'm getting another Darkstar to have installed in the bridge, and since I think the bridge pickup was added by a previous owner, I want to have the correct pots, caps, and whatever other electronics put in along with the pickup. So can anyone tell me what components I would use to make the electronics identical to an original 1967 SF? Much appreciated.

Here are a couple pictures

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

I have never seen a SF-II with the thumb/finger rests so looking just at the picture I would say that your bass left the factory as a SF-I and someone added a second PU after 1970 or '71.

The SF-II schematic here has some values in it.

More than you want to know about my '71 JS-II wiring is here. In the absence of definitive information to the contrary the SF, M-85 and JS from 1970 +/- 5 have much in common as far as the electronics are concerned.

You might also want to check out this and follow links to the posted pictures. They confirm that the factory location of a SF-II toggle was the lower bout and the presence of a master volume. In keeping with that project, I predict your serial number is greater than BA-1459. The knobs to the left of the F hole would be in the original location.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
hi!
your starfire is definitely a starfire I with the bridge pickup added. you can tell by the off spacing of the two outside knobs. the position of the tonesuck gives it away as well. either way, it's still a fantastic bass (especially once you get that humbucker outta there and drop in a 2nd darkstar!)