Sing Like An Angel? ... With This, You Can Play Like One Too

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
1918 Gibson Harp Guitar on CL In St Augustine FL ... asking $6,500. Extra hand to assist play not included.

harp06.jpg

From Mr. Robert Shaw's 'Classic Guitars' ... 1915 model

harp07.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
One of the earliest 'fretless' basses; Mr. Shaw says they stayed in Gibson's catalog until the early 30s ... he didn't say why though :? :wink: .

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
W.J. Dyer & Bro., Symphony #8 harp guitar (pg 20, Classic Guitars, Robert Shaw) similar to Michael Hedges' instrument (6 'bass' strings, 4 less than the Gibson above) ... but is it as cool as Jeff's Marxophone(fone?):

harp08.jpg

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
1918 Gibson Harp Guitar on CL In St Augustine FL ... asking $6,500. Extra hand to assist play not included.

harp06.jpg
Wow, those just don't come around so often.

It'd be a pretty big commitment to purchase one of those, and I'd feel really obligated to learn how to play it well. Like many exotic instruments that have come and gone, i.e., sitar, bouzouki, etc., it's best usage is to hang on the wall and impress folkie chicks. :mrgreen: Would you like to come back to my place and check out my harp guitar? :lol:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi JP; hmmm ... a conversation piece ... :wink: ? Not sure I'd go to the trouble to learn how to be my own bassman ... besides, why stop there? What about a pedal-operated trap drum and a pair of cymbals at the knees ... and a kazoo in a neck brace.... taken to extreme ...

guitarslinger

Reaction score
At first I was thinking that that's a pretty expensive conversation piece. Then someone mentioned "folkie chicks" and now it all just makes sense.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi 'Slinger; back in the day, I think the expression was: "Would you like to see my etchings?" Not sure what All the Young Dudes say today: see my iPod? ... bowflex?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
One what ... iPod, bowflex ... big? Chances are, he's got the 'burst version too ...

john_kidder

Reaction score
jp said:
Like many exotic instruments that have come and gone, i.e., sitar, bouzouki, etc., it's best usage is to hang on the wall

They've only come and gone in this part of the world, of course. Seen Ravi Shankar's daughter lately? Or Doug Cox and Salil Bhatt?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
john_kidder said:
They've only come and gone in this part of the world, of course. Seen Ravi Shankar's daughter lately? Or Doug Cox and Salil Bhatt?
Two of the three here ... It's been a while but I thought these things had gourd-shaped bodies ... these look a little more familiar ... dang, where's my nehru jacket...

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
john_kidder said:
jp said:
Like many exotic instruments that have come and gone, i.e., sitar, bouzouki, etc., it's best usage is to hang on the wall

Similar things show up pretty regular at guitar shows. This one in Seattle a while back, Guildmark posted a pic of one at a Calif show yesterday..

Mebbe set one up for slide & have Jerry Douglas give it a go. Wonder what sort of pick up would work best?

135213.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
That thing looks like an early Guild Gumby-model Thunderbird; curvilinear bottom and the raised arm ... Not sure about the pick but somehow a cello bow doesn't seem out of the question ...

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I offered the guy $50.00 & the Marxophone. Later I thought of going back & throwing in a perfectly good weed eater, by then it was lunch time.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Yeah, I offered the guy $50.00 & the Marxophone.
I don't know what gets into people ... waddya spose those use for strings ... JP 80/20 extra lights? Did you ask when the strings were changed last?

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Hi 'Slinger; back in the day, I think the expression was: "Would you like to see my etchings?" Not sure what All the Young Dudes say today: see my iPod? ... bowflex?
In this West Coast hipster town, it's "Would you like to come to my place to look at my. . .

1) Macbook Pro (can be replaced with iPhone if in exotic locale, such as Bali, Nepal, Peru, et al.)
2) new handbuilt fixie
3) swale
If cards are played successfully, you should have a breakfast partner at the latest Vegan cafe with whom to munch spelt bagles and sip organic, locally roasted Fair Trade coffee. You should see the looks I get when I tell people I used to work as a butcher. :roll:

john_kidder said:
I once had a very generous friend who brought me a sitar from India as a gift! I was shocked to say the least. I did everything I could to learn to play and learn to read raga music. As predicted, I eventually gave up, and it sat for a few years. I eventually sold it to a friend of a friend ho worked in a hip local music store (CDs/LPS). He mostly kept it in the back room, where he would show it off impress female customers interested in world music. :lol: :lol:

Jeff said:
Similar things show up pretty regular at guitar shows. This one in Seattle a while back, Guildmark posted a pic of one at a Calif show yesterday.. Mebbe set one up for slide & have Jerry Douglas give it a go. Wonder what sort of pick up would work best?
135213.jpg
It looks like it's been used to paddle a canoe! My wife would turn it into a planter or something.