So i glad i found the forum

DMC

Reaction score
hi my name is daniel. ive been into Guild basses since 2003 when i got my first Starfire Bass. it is a beautiful all maple starfire II that i added Darkstar Pu's and had mike dolan create an alembic style bridge. I have accumulated a few other guild basses including a hollow m85 I and a solidbody m85II.
maplestarfire1.jpg
greenm85.jpg

cjd-player

Reaction score
Welcome DMC. :D

Personally, I don't mess around with the LOW end of things, but there are plenty of folks here who do.

Enjoy the ride, but hold on tight. :mrgreen:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
hi daniel and welcome! now that you've posted teaser pictures, we're going to need to see many more detailed photos of your groovalicious guilds (it's the law). but seriously, those are beautiful. don't see too many of those (bisonic equipped) m85 I basses around (especially a pretty emerald green one!)
be warned, this forum is addictive. worse than heroine, but more educational.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello DMC,

Welcome! Really nice bass collection!

Now I'm curious! Is that green M-85 the same one I came across a couple of years ago?
That one was from 1970.

M-85-I.jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
DMC said:
hi my name is daniel.

Hello Daniel, and welcome.

I note you mentioned three basses and posted pictures of 4. I'm sure if the Cherry Starfire is the "ugly stepsister" of your collection there are people who will help you find a home for it. Earlier than mid-'67 I'd presume?

And it is only fair to warn you. People at LTG have "problems" with green Guilds. I think you need to get rid of that M-85 as soon as you possibly can before it gets you in trouble. I can help you with that. 8) 8) 8)

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on your collection on the low end.Im buffing out a B302 I have been working on. Im also restoring a "broom painted" red starfire II. Im still not brave enough to to dye it green ,yet.

fini.jpg

The light color is patched mahog veneer where the genius that painted it red used the paint to fill in where he had sanded through the edges and re attached the binding with brad nails!! I may do a suttle burst to hide the edges.M

I love the 85's :mrgreen:

DMC

Reaction score
mellowgerman said:
now you just need one of these :D
I love the aesthetics of the single bridge pickup and in a mahogany starfire I bet it would sound great. though i find the bridge soloed on my particular Maple Starfire too bright and clanky when the bass sported the old bridge. It felt like it was only amplifying the mechanical noises of playing. The bridge does add a noticeable amount of weight and mojo

DMC

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Hello DMC,

Welcome! Really nice bass collection!

Now I'm curious! Is that green M-85 the same one I came across a couple of years ago?
That one was from 1970.

M-85-I.jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Now how many Green M85 could there be? I procured the bass on ebay somewhere between 03-05 from a gentelman in canada. it was only 180.00 buck for overnight shipping so it must have been awhile ago. Drop me a line If you are ever in southern California and want check it out :mrgreen:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
DMC said:
I love the aesthetics of the single bridge pickup and in a mahogany starfire I bet it would sound great. though i find the bridge soloed on my particular Maple Starfire too bright and clanky when the bass sported the old bridge. It felt like it was only amplifying the mechanical noises of playing. The bridge does add a noticeable amount of weight and mojo

this is actually something that has been discussed a few times on this forum. once people try out the bridgish/middlish bisonic position of the 64-early66 starfire I basses, they tend to be amazed at the difference in sound when comparing it to the bridge position of a starfire II. the bisonic on this one is about an inch or so closer to the middle and that makes all the difference with these pickups; same goes for when you flip a bisonic around 180degrees in it's cavity, you'll hear a big change even though the poles are only moving a half inch.
i've owned a dark-starred JS-II bass and spent a good amount of time with (what i believe was a 68) starfire II. but so far i haven't been able to beat the tone out of my 66 starfire I. obviously this is just my preference and opinion, but i'd say they're definitely worth checking out for any starfire enthusiast :mrgreen:
with that said, i'd love to see what mine sounds like with an alembic bridge!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Daniel, welcome to LTG, and a cool collection of basses! After you've been here awhile, you may decide that you're not as glad as you thought ... :wink: Welcome!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
DMC said:
Now how many Green M85 could there be? I procured the bass on ebay somewhere between 03-05 from a gentelman in canada. it was only 180.00 buck for overnight shipping so it must have been awhile ago. Drop me a line If you are ever in southern California and want check it out :mrgreen:

Hello Daniel,

There are probably not too many. Would love to know the serial # of yours for my Guild database. It is very well possible that yours is the same bass that I inspected some time ago.

Maybe you could let me know.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust