O.T. suggestion for 6AQ5 Gibson GA-5

powdog

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm putting together a Gibson GA-5 clone using the push-pull 6AQ5 output section. Any recomendations for an output transformer? What primary impedence should I be looking for? Thanks alot folks. -PD

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
powdog said:
Hey all. I'm putting together a Gibson GA-5 clone using the push-pull 6AQ5 output section. Any recomendations for an output transformer? What primary impedence should I be looking for? Thanks alot folks. -PD
Hi PD; can I ask why 6AQ5s and not 6BQ5/EL84s? CJ Edit: I went and cross-checked the 6AQ5 v. 6BQ5 bases and sockets; turns out the 6AQ5 has a 7-pin base and the 6BQ5 a 9-pin ... so much for shooting off at the lip :oops: . I'll try the question another way; what is the interest in the 6AQ5s? Not trying to diminish your interest but 6BQ5/EL84s are much more popular in part because there are so many '18 watt' / EL 84 designs out there and so many more mfrs support the EL84. There are only NOS 6AQ5/6005s out there ...

6AQ5 Tube Data Sheet

If you have a chassis that has 7-pin sockets already in it, you could still drill out the rivets and bolt 9-pin sockets in; they take the same size chassis hole. The TDS says twin 6AQ5s Effective Load Resistance, plate-to-plate = 10K ohms. Most of the garden variety, low-power replacement output transformers have 8K ohms as their primary ... I don't know if this difference is too much or not. Wish I could be more helpful. CJ

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Found out the hard way, 7 pin sockets (at least the ones that I could find) are smaller than 9 pin sockets. :oops:
6AQ5 are equal to 6v6s within design limits. I would think that this tranny would be good.
P-T1609 at www.tubesandmore.com

Reaction score
Ditto the 6AQ5 being 6V6-like, albeit in a smaller package. I'm still putting my available amp list together, but there is a butt-ugly Epi pacemaker(gib skylark clone) from that crestline series that needs work but is complete that uses the dual 6AQ5 push-pull design that I'll sell cheap! I also have a weird little amp from guyatone that uses a pair of 6AQ5's that is red plaid with a 10" speaker. It's on the bench now, needing new caps in the vibrato circuit (well, and a 3 prong plug and standard cap job). Wacky but cool, just needs a teisco or other far out 60's guitar to have you turning japanese!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
Found out the hard way, 7 pin sockets (at least the ones that I could find) are smaller than 9 pin sockets.
Appears so; typical 7-pin socket uses a 5/8" hole, 9-pin uses 3/4" or 7/8" ...