Eastwood Sidejack Baritone ... anybody try one?

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hey all: I have a baritone jones. The Jerry Jones 2 p/u model has long been on my list, but I've heard some favorable comment on the cheap seats Eastwood. Two flavors, one with a vaguely Jazzmaster trem, which actually looks like it's the same one as on my DiPinto. The other is hardtail. Recently they moved the bridge p/u back closer to the bridge, as buyers had been clamoring for more twang.

Anyway, has anyone tried these? I'm particularly interested in how the trem works, how much twang is available from the newest models. Thank you all.

MD

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My buddy had one of the ones with the lead pickup moved too far forward, and it didn't twang indeed.
I wasn't crazy about the feel of it either really - it's very heavy, think "worst of 70's Les Paul Customs heavy".

I have a new-ish Dano I keep in A, and A Jerry Jones Longhorn six-string bass (E), and like both better than the Eastwood.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Walter: That's very helpful. The "way heavy" thing probably nixes it for me. Especially as I can get my hands on one of the older 2 p/u JJ baritones ... not heavy, wonderful feel and tone from those lipstick p/us. It's just pricier is all. That's probably where I'll end up, if the Eastwood is not something special.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You know, the JJ I have is a great instrument, but I have to honestly admit I can't tell it apart from the chinese made Danos on tape. (the sax player in my band doubles on tic-tac bass on our more country-flavored material, and has a recent Dano U2 Bari tuned to E)

The JJ certainly looks nicer and has better hardware, but there's one very clever thing about the newer Danelectros : they angled the headstock back, and that does help with string tension, less "floppiness".

This is my own baritone - it has a metal saddle bridge now, and I added one lipstick, a master vol/master tone scheme with CTS pots and Fender amp knobs, and I have Gotoh Kluson-alike "three on a strip" tuners on it too.
DanoBaritone.jpg

And this is the Jerry Jones :
JerryJonesLonghorn6SB.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hey Walter - those two guitars are very cool. I keep thinking about a baritone guitar (so far I only have a baritone uke - not the same at all!!).

I love Glen Campbell stuff - his latest CD is very good, with some classic baritone guitar riffs. And here's a great video of him playing one on "Witchita Lineman", with the Stone Temple Pilots backing him up. It sure looks like a Jerry Jones, based on your photo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDPuK_tqG-Y

walrus