12th Night

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
The play is on during Mid March, and I'm not only playing Malvolio but have ended up doing some music - playing a bit of Greensleeves and things and adapting a tune for 'come away death' for Feste to sing. As Malvolio wouldn't be in Orsino's court as a musician I will have to be disguised and in the background while playing. Also, I will have to leave the guitar backstage on a stand between scenes, so I'm not risking the Guild, it will be the Epiphone.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good luck.

I saw A Winter's Tale at Blackfriars and the cast came out and performed several songs before and during intermission. Most of them were modern and it was tough trying to explain why I burst out laughing when they started "Tainted Love". It seems the people around me either knew the song or the plot of Tale but I was the only one who could link them.

cjd-player

Reaction score
I'm thinking something like this???

clownguitar.jpg

Break a leg, Jerry :mrgreen:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Carl

I've just had a worry about being in the right place at the right time - and sent this email to the Director:

Hi Pat

Better to consider this now rather than at dress rehearsal!

Act 2 Sc 3 I storm off in my nightie at 1 'She shall hear of it - by this hand!'....'Go shake yoyr lugs..!'

I am assuming that bare legs will be funnier in the night dress, so I will have to shed doublet and hose for that scene so will probably only have the Malvolio shirt on (and undies of course).

Gives me about a side of dialogue before Act 2 Sc 4 - when you want a bit of guitar for Orsino's entrance and long speech to Viola. Not sure if I will have time to exit 1, go round the outside, into back dressing room, shed nightie, don 'disguise' musicians cozzie (whatever that is) enter at 2 and play. Should Rob do that bit of instrumental? I probably will be there in time to take up with 'Come away death' though, and should have time then after that to get back into Malvolio togs for the letter scene Act 2 Sc 5.

What thinkest thou?

- exit 1 is through the audience - the other entrances are back stage - to get there you have to go outside the building and walk round to the back - in act 2 sche 3 I will be dressed in an old fashoined nightshirt and cap - like scrooge :mrgreen:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No - I have an excellent cozzie - so I'm told, as I haven't seen it yet - black hat, doublet, hose (tights to you) in my 1st scenes , but when disturbed at night by the drunken revelry of Sir Toby Belch, Andrew Aguecheek and Feste I storm on in a nightshirt. I have to get back into the black cozzie for 2 scenes on but play guitar in between (and not be recognisable as Malvolio - the Ronald McDonald cozze would do it but take a lotta time to get on so probably some kinda cloak?) - hence my email to Pat the Director.

Later on is where I get the yellow stockings and cross garters :twisted: Then I have to get a dirty version of that costume for when I'm locked up as insane.

Its all go, this acting, you know :roll:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
JerryR said:
I have heard acting likened to warfare - long periods of boredom interspersed with moments of pure gut wrenching fear as you engage with the enemy (audience) :mrgreen:
Even worse because all you'll have on is a nightshirt.
cwm31.gif

kitniyatran

Reaction score
So long as they don't get a sight of my weapon
Pictures Jerro...pictures when the time comes. West
If anyone is crazy enough to take some (if anyone will, it'll be the director's husband), I will post :oops:
So, Jerry, you're saying the director's husband is a fan of your "weapon" :eek: ? Looks like West is, too :? ! :p
:roll:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Director's getting ratty again about poor cast attendence at rehearsal and threatening to cancel the play :( Me - I've gone to every one, and I hope she's bluffing :!:

Here's her ultimatum!

I am extremely concerned that with two weeks to go Twelfth Night is nowhere near approaching performance standard. I am disappointed with the lack of commitment, absenteeism and lateness that I have continued to experience at rehearsals. To date, I have not yet had the whole cast for one rehearsal, and for most rehearsals, at least one third of the cast have been missing. It is impossible to direct a play under these conditions. If you look back at my rehearsal schedules, the reason they were so complicated is that I tried to make the best use of the people that I expected to attend, but to no avail, because people I had counted on failed to turn up. You were all happy to accept the parts – I didn’t coerce any of you into taking them.

Of course, this does not apply to everyone, and I thank the few that have shown commitment and respect for the huge amount of effort that has been going on for your benefit behind the scenes (me me me :) ). We have only seven rehearsals to go and I am not willing to put on a substandard “am dram” production that the public are being asked to pay £10 to see. If things don’t rapidly improve I will cancel – It’s your call!

The Pound have offered us Wednesday 11 March (free of charge) to rehearse in the auditorium. An offer too good to refuse, so I propose we meet there for a 7.30 start and have a full run.

I shouldn’t have to spell it out, but from now on, out of respect for your fellow actors, if not for me, please observe the following:

· I expect the whole cast at every rehearsal – no excuses

· be prompt for rehearsal

· NO BOOKS

· every actor to be on cue for scenes – no wandering off

· keep the noise down when you are not on stage

· mobile phones (= cellphones) to be turned off

· I expect ALL members of the cast to stay till the end so that I can give them feedback

Unfortunately for me, putting on an all male production of Twelfth Night was to be a dream come true, but it has turned out to be my worst nightmare!

I still believe it has the potential to be a great production and it’s not too late to save it. The only way I can be convinced is by getting total commitment from the whole of the cast for the short time we have left – It is up to you.

Pat

My future as an actor hangs in the balance :!:

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Agreed. Usually those slackers are the loudest complainers, too. Good on Jerry, taking responsibility for your commitments! Just like a LTG geezer, right? 8)

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If it is cancelled I will be gutted :( Bad enough last year when a special performance for the 'Duke of Edinburgh Award' dinner in Bath was cancelled due to lack of paying guests - minor Royalty were going to attend (Prince Edward and his missus) and as he runs some kinda theatre I was hoping to be 'discovered' :roll: