Polytone

strings

Reaction score
Looking for a Polytone Minibrute III, I ask myself if older amps are any different or even better than the ones you get today. Are there good and less good production eras? Different models or features to take care of?
Thank you!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wish I had some advice for you, but I haven't had the pleasure of playing through one. :(

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
I've had a mid-80s MiniBrute II for about 5 yrs that I love and haven't had any trouble with it. The other night a friend came over to jam and brought his. It turned out to be an almost identical MBII of the same vintage and he's never had a problem either. They do have somewhat of a reputation for dying reverb units, but my experience has been very good. Harmony Central user reviews are mixed, but they have a "modern" jazz tone that's unbeatable and the reverb is great. Plenty of clean power too.

I bought mine used for under $300 on CL, a pretty good deal I think, but if you find a nice used one check the reverb before you hand over the dough. If everything is working it will probably keep working, they're built like tanks.