Pilot going to Oregon

jte

Reaction score
Last week my son (27 now) sent me a Youtube link of some band and said "This makes me want to play bass". I've been a gigging bassist since 1977 and managed a guitar store until he was 7. He grew up around piles of basses, amps, guitars, stomp boxes, etc. He grew up hearing and often listening to Jaco, Duck Dunn, Jack Bruce, Emory Gordy, Jerrry Jemmott, etc. And he was in a very serious boys' choir when he was young. In fact, the reason he dropped out of choral music in high school was because he was accustomed to a much more rigorioius and focused rehearsals and much more polished performances. He once drove across three states to see Eric Clapton, which surprised me. He caem in the house one early spring day and said "Dad, do you know how cool it is to drive with all the windows rolled down, playing "Purple Haze" so loud your ears hurt?" And then he said, "Yeah, YOU do!"

But expressing an interest in playing bass really surprised me. But I told him if he was serious I'd give him one of mine. So, after I get a box big enough, my Electric Blue Pilot is going to leave Central Illinois and make its way to beautiful Oregon!! Besides sharing this with him, there's an ulterior motive- I'll have a fun bass to play when I go visit him.

jte

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice story. Thanks.

My kids, on the other hand, tended to avoid any music with electric instruments for reasons that make sense but won't be repeated here. There is a clip with Yo Yo Ma on cello and Bobby McFarrin where they are goofing around and Ma starts playing the octave jumps that open Purple Haze. I broke up laughing and my kids asked why? I put on a recording of Hendrix and they both left the room, shaking their heads in disgust before the song ended.