Sound of B-30 vs B-50 and Split vs. Solid Saddle

Reaction score
I'm considering owning a Guild Acoustic Bass and wanted to know:
- What is the opinion amongst Guild acoustic bass fans as to whether there's a significant difference in sound or playability between the B-50 (early/mid 80's) and the B-30 (mid/late 80's)? (and a description of the difference)

- Also Is there a majority opinion about any differences in sound between the "split" saddle (E and A on one and D and G on the other) found on some B-50's and B-30's and the "normal" four string saddle that I've also seen on some B50's abd B30's?

Please let me know ASAP as I'm looking at a possible purchase and I don't want it to slip away!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

I think everyone of with an opinion would pick the B-50 over the B-30 in a heartbeat, presuming the acoustic performance is what you are interested in. I suspect if your search-fu is better than mine you can find where those opinions were expressed elsewhere on LTG. Just because the discussion is about basses doesn't mean it occurred in Basses. I think the posters named Taylor Martin Guild and Guilds of Grot had the most informed opinions.

As far as I know no one has ever discussed the split saddle so can't help you there.

As for a description of the sonic difference I believe it is a matter of volume. They sound the same but one projects much better.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I'm surprised the only difference is volume (with the B-50 louder even though the b-30 is slightly larger (ex: 3-4" deeper)...

The split saddle is so distinctive, I would have thought there would be some sonic reason for it?

"search-fu" - cool term.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Hi, RubiCheck -- Sorry I didn't see this post earlier, but despite my tardiness - as others will tell you I am VERY opinionated when it comes to acoustic basses and a BIG proponent of the B-50. First, let me say that the B-50 has been Smithfield Fair's bass of choice starting in 1978/9 when we were still Charmer. The B-50 has appeared on all Charmer recordings (www.myspace.com/charmeracousticmusic) and almost all Smithfield Fair recordings since Bob Smith has returned to the fold. I'll try to be succinct...

What provoked us to start using the B-50? Well, we are an acoustic and vocal group - and have always rejected the general "acoustic-electric" sound as inferior. Yes, that means micorphones for amplification, not pick-ups (thought some have gotten decidedly better and we now use the K&K Pure Bass on Bob's Fretless basses - though I still use a Shure Sm-11 mic. on my fretted B-50). In those days, the only well-considered acoustic bass - other than an upright - was the Ernie Ball Earthwood. Few and far between, they weren't in production long and were hard to find even then. I bought Bob's first B-50 for $400 in Pensacola after sitting down and plyaing it. I told Bob - "I've found what we're looking for," and we've never changed our opinion.

The slight changes to the B-50 - making it into the later B-30 - all served to make the sound muddy and indistinct and also took away presence. The split saddle helps with the intonation on the lower strings - the soft underbelly in the B-50's considerable armor. In the studio, we normally mic. the B-50 with the AKG414 or a Neumann mic. Recently, so happy with the K&K Pure bass, we used a mic. and combined the sound with the pure bass with exceptional results.

Nothing else on the market then or today comes even close to the B-50 for punch, presence, projection, tone, ease of playing, and a true acoustic bass sound. Judge for yourself on the recordings posted on the two MySpace pages above - or check out some clips on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... +Fair&aq=f).

Acoustically, the B-50 is the winner, but the B-30 isn't far behind (amazing how some little changes could make such a difference, but they did) and the B-30 is still way out front of the pack - even of custom build instruments. Using a mic or pick-up in a live setting - given a little experimentation (some pick-ups just WILL NOT do the B-50 justice), it can sound amazing and is a perfect substitute for an upright - with portability tipping the scale to the Guild.

Thanks to Carlo Greco for designing this outstanding instrument. Hope this helps and, again, sorry to be such a "Johnny Come lately". All the best....dbs

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
I think the posters named Taylor Martin Guild and Guilds of Grot had the most informed opinions.

For future reference I remembered the three syllable moniker but had the wrong three syllables. As the post above demonstrates, it is Smithfield Fair who I consider the local expert on the B-50.

:oops:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
The Guilds of Grot said:
Don't think that I could ad much to Smithfield Fair's review.

(Just checking in since I was called to testify! :D )

Testify?

BTW, did you pull your clip playing the B-50 from YouTube? I couldn't find it.