What bass/amp setup do you guys use?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I'm curious to see what other LTG low-enders use with their Guilds and I wanted to share my rather unique setup :D

Here's mine: Starfire, Fender Bassman 1200 pro (hybrid) amp, Avatar 1x12 cab, and a custom EV 1x18 cab. Unconventional speaker combination, I know, but it sounds sooo beautiful! I feel like this rig is made for my bass. Really nice part is, the fairly lightweight cabs and head make it super portable (at least considering the amount of power and tone i get out of it).

family.jpg

danerectal

Reaction score
I use my B-301 through a 1973 Fender Bassman 100 and an angle-front Fender F412 cab. Even with the cheapo speakers, it growls nicely.

gilded

Reaction score
I play through two different bass amps.

1) I have a pre-Fender SWR Super Redhead 2x10 combo, with Eminence Neodynium Speakers in place of the originals. I bought it new and like it a lot. The original speakers sounded good, but they blew up. Why? SWR uses cones that have limited mobility when they excurse [push out]. That makes the speakers 'pop out' a false octave harmonic of whatever note you're playing. The harmonic makes for a fatter sound, that is, until the limited mobility inherent in the design makes the speaker cone self-destruct! The new speakers aren't as fat as the original ones, but I know that they will last a lot longer and it's still a good sound.

2) I also have a Kustom 3x10 Slam Bass amp combo. It puts out a billion watts and weighs a top-heavy 140 lbs.
I really, really like the way my '66 SF I bass sounds through it, though I have no interest in taking it out of the studio to a gig at the age of 55.

In all candor, I never would have gone looking for a Kustom Bass amp. A friend had it, and after hearing it, I decided it was a cool sound and traded some kind of Fender Rivera-era Champ II for it. Every body else likes it, too. Surprise!!!

Every thing I said above holds true for a 34" scale Fender bass I use that has an early '60's Jazz neck, Chandler body, EMG PJ set up and a Bad Ass bridge. Not a great bass, but sometimes you need The LOOONNG Scale.

I also get a good tone direct to PA through a Radial J48 DI box. It ain't great, but it works fine.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like a cool rig, mg.
Usually I don't have to take an amp and play bass through everything I find. Only I use my Electro Harmonix Black finger Tube Compressor and if in need my L.R. Baggs para DI as a preamp in front of an amp or pa.
Just in case I still have my old SWR redface (too :) ) head and an 1x15" Solton Cabinet in which I replaced the original speaker with an EV15L (loud enough to play with a drummer :wink: ).
krysh-tools-080603-sml.jpg

mellowgerman

Reaction score
great set ups guys!

krysh, i love EV speakers! there's just something very unique about their tone and power. as you can imagine, my EV 1x18 really thumps :wink:

h60

Reaction score
Ashdown ABM Evo II 2x10 combo.
It has lotsa power and sounds great. the drive knob on it, which blends in a 12ax7 tube to the front end, is great for dialing in any thing from crystal clear to ruanch, but it is usually set to give each note just a little fur & is also nice and sensative to right hand technique. I love this amp more every time I plug in.
I also use an Emma Electronics DiscomBoBulator and an Ashdown dual comp pedal from time to time.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sept08%20008.JPG

Fender Princeton Reverb of "recent" vintage. 8)

70's Peavey solid state head into a Peavey 2x15 with Eminence and/or a Woodson (?) 1x15 when I've got someone else (with a bigger car) to move the gear.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
mgod said:
Everything.

DS
I don't doubt that at all. :D

My rig is strictly a home setup for now, with no Guilds :( present. I run my '64-65 Hofner Club and an early 90s Charvel Surfcaster through my 1967 Ampeg B-18X Portaflex. Also in a state of miserable disrepair is a 1950s Swedish Bjärton upright bass.

65hofnerclubbass2-1.jpg
DSCF7711-1.jpg
ampegportaflexb-18x-1-1.jpg

If I had my 'druthers, I'd run the electrics through an old Acoustic Control (260, 360, or 470) head, and I'd try to make a nice tight little Thiele cab. For the upright, I've been really impressed with the Acoustic Image Clarus amps.

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
I use a Phil Jones Bass Suitcase for smaller gigs:

ncdcncbwadetew5.jpg

I like it - nice clean accurate sound of the bass. I was actually going to use my Starfire for this gig but the handle on my case is frayed and I didn't feel comfortable carrying it around.

I also use a Glockenklang Soul Head through an Epifani 2 x 10 cab. Another clean machine with plenty of power.

I sometimes fantasize about getting an Orange cab and head - maybe the new Terror Bass will be the way to go?

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's my medium size rig;

dogshow032.jpg

Gallien-Krueger 800RB Amp

Guild/Hartke 210 Module

RMS 15" Bass Cabinet

For larger gigs I have a second 210 Module and a second 15" Bass Cabinet.

Bluelizzard

Reaction score
I sold all of my heavy equipment awhile back and now exclusively use a David Eden WT-300 Traveler amp that fits in a briefcase and an Eden 2x10XLT cabinet. I've used this little rig in all kinds of venues including outside and am always amazed. My back loves this setup. For basses I use a 62 & 78 Precision, 67 Guild Starfire, 76 Guild M85 II and a recently acquired 69 Guild M85 II.

Reaction score
Here's my '67 Starfire I and '75 B-15N. The Starfire's been modded with the bridge pickup added later. It has a Darkstar in the neck that sounds incredible through the Ampeg.

P3120389.jpg
P3120392.jpg

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
Practice amp is an Ashdown EB180 which is versatile lil bugger. I have an Eden WT 405 with an Avatar Neo212 which is a very different beast. :mrgreen:

dluxe

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hartke LH1000
Peavey Tour 410
DBX 160A
Fender RT1000
Monster Pro 900
1984 Guild Pilot

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
dluxe said:
Hartke LH1000
Peavey Tour 410
DBX 160A
Fender RT1000
Monster Pro 900
1984 Guild Pilot

Welcome although I am reacting to the third post and not the 2006 join date. Just because we have our Starfire fixations doesn't mean we don't want to hear about your Pilot, so tell us about it. :wink:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
dluxe said:
Hartke LH1000
Peavey Tour 410
DBX 160A
Fender RT1000
Monster Pro 900
1984 Guild Pilot

Welcome although I am reacting to the third post and not the 2006 join date. Just because we have our Starfire fixations doesn't mean we don't want to hear about your Pilot, so tell us about it. :wink:
Yes and post pics! Those early ones with the full front pickguard are really cool. Pretty sure Grot has one. . .well, of course he does! :mrgreen:

BTW: Hey shadowcastaz,
Did you ever finish your Starfire bass resto?

dluxe

Reaction score
Guild Total
I do love the early Pilot basses. I've owned Black and Red examples and originally thought this was a refinished natural. After taking it apart it is the original finish. First one I've seen with a natural finish.

1zqu1hf.jpg

34gvhac.jpg