TonyT sees John Prine tonight

TonyT

Reaction score
Still basking in the afterglow. Hopefully by tonight I'll be able to report.

tjmangum

Reaction score
Still waiting for the review. Don't forget the opening act. I'm still upset to know he's coming to my town next month the day after I head out of town.
tj

TonyT

Reaction score
OK here we go. Got there stupid early, walked around the back corner of the theatre, heading for a bite to eat, when a back door opened and I heard his voice. He was sending one of his guys to their truck. I said Hi, he said "how ya doin'", and that was that..

Opening act was Iris Dement. She played about an hour and was fabulous. JP cam on about 9, opening with a rollicking version of "Blow Up Your TV". I haven't heard his voice so strong and clear in 10 years. He's lost some weight, and looked and sounded fantastic. After about 45 minutes, David jacques and JAson Wilburn left, and it was just JP and his Martin. " Clay Pigeons", Sam Stone", "Mexican HOme" and Souveniers followed. That portion was closed out by Sam Stone. Iris then came back, for 4 or 5 songs., then they both said goodnight. JP comes back with an encore of Hello In There. Hell of a night.

tjmangum

Reaction score
Thanks for the review Tony. The last time I saw him was about 2 1/2 years ago and I didn't think he was looking that well. Kind of felt like, "Damn, I need to see him a few more times before he's gone." Glad to hear he appears in far better health.
Good on you and JP, still the most talented postmen to come from Maywood, Illinois!
tj

eastcoastbuzz

Reaction score
Tony, thanks for the review. I've got tickets for the April 4th show in Durham and can't wait! Just three more long Mondays between now and then. I also saw him a few years back and am glad to hear he is doing well.

Patrick

Reaction score
Man...that sounds awesome. Clay Pigeons is probably my favorite Blaze Foley song out there. I love hearing John talk about how he came across it. Good stuff Tony...sounds like a blast. I might have to get myself up to Durham to see him on the 4th myself.

Patrick

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Dang... I knew I should've snagged tix to his show at the Beacon Theatre as soon as they went on sale. Next time.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, thanks Tony. I saw him about the same time as tj and I had the same thoughts on his health. He had to work real hard to come back from throat cancer surgery and treatments. I'm learning "Clay Pigeons" too, what a great song. I sure hope Prine comes back here again :!:

eastcoastbuzz

Reaction score
Re: Prine - Goodman and a Guild

tjmangum said:
Don't know if you've seen this or not, but from over 20 years ago. Looks like John is playing a D-25. His Martin D-28 must have been taking a break.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdEWBc2bAto
tj

That's a great song. He said it was his Mom's favorite of all the songs he had written. The Guild is a late 70's D-35 that belonged to his road manager/guitar tech Gary Fish. He used it as a backup for his Martin before he started playing the Gibson J-200's.