Guild Thunder I Tremolo Problem

Reaction score
Hello! I am new here. I used to own a Thunder I with the cream tolex and two-tone grill cloth--it sounded absolutely amazing. Like an idiot, I sold it. I had to get another, so I ordered one online and it's the black tolex with goldish grill cloth. It sounds really good--but not like the other. Have there been many versions of this amp? It really is great, and I'll have it looked at, but I don't know if there are good techs around me, and I can't do it myself. The main issue is with the tremolo. I'm not sure I can explain it--it's anemic (I have adjusted the knob inside--I have it just where it needs to be to not be throbbing/thumping when not playing), and lopsided--almost choppy, and not in a good way--like it's catching somewhere or something. I wasn't sure if anyone knew of any common condition I could explain when I brought it in, or, better yet, where the best place near Paducah, KY would be to bring it to. Also, it pops when I turn it off. Any info would be much appreciated. Power tubes and rectifier tube have been replaced--no difference. Thanks!

dklsplace

Reaction score
Did Guild use an optical module in any of their tremolos?

Caps first, definitely!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi truckersinspace, welcome to LTG, and congratulations on your old/new Guild amp! Default is on it; usually it's the small components in the tremolo circuit that either crap out or drift out of tolerance. If you aren't electronically-enabled, then it needs to go to a shop. There are at least two known versions of the tremolo circuit in the non-reverb models. If you take it somewhere and your tech needs a schematic, send me a PM including your email address and I can send you one of them.

If the power supply caps haven't been replaced in the recent past, while it's getting the tremolo straightened out would be a good time it would be a good time to get them refreshed. The pop at turn-off could be corrosion on the contacts of the power switch. If it can't be fixed by cleaning then it will have to be replaced. Not expensive; the linked thread above has a source and part number if your amp has red switch; otherwise the black ones are pretty common.

dklsplace said:
Did Guild use an optical module in any of their tremolos?
Hi Donnie; no, Guild didn't use the opticoupler commonly found on Ampegs and Fenders. There are sort of a blessing and a curse; allow for quiet on/off of the effect but don't have particularly long service lifes.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Pay attention to Default and CapnJuan. They know their stuff.

Paducah, huh? I played tourist there a couple of times. Enjoyed it.

Reaction score
Thank you everyone! I sincerely appreciate all the feedback! I will post pics as soon as I can... keep you posted!