Custom built guitars

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Who has a custom built and what are your thoughts on the product and the process?

Woolson, Beneteau, Paragon, Kronbauer, MacPherson, etc.

Are they worth the cost or is it something that you just wanted to do / have?

Would you do it again?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Graham,

I've never seriously considered it. Folks over on the AGF have posted pictures of some very beautiful and interesting guitars from many different luthiers. However, I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of shelling out a lot of money for a custom. The fact is that I wouldn't even know where to begin. I've only semi-seriously considered having someone build me an 18" super-jumbo 12 string (like the F-612), as one fellow did over in the UMGF forum.

There are some top-end music stores where you can go to sample some of these builders' works. I really haven't done that. Perhaps if I ever do, I might get the bug. Still, more likely is I'd just like one off the shelf and buy it. Commissioning one and waiting a long time for it... well, I'm just not serious enough. Besides, I enjoy collecting Guilds and Ibanez too much to put the money into it.

It may be my perception, but it seems most acoustic guitarists just don't go this route. I mean, you've got JT who started with Olson back in the day (that in itself is an interesting story where Olson just gave him a guitar to play)... But, the vast majority of known players out there seem to buy stock gear. I suspect this is a money thing (starving musician).

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
At a living-room jam about a year ago I sat next to someone who had a 00-size Manzer. It was about the closest brush with greatness that I've experienced :lol:

Great sound it had! I didn't have my Guild (I was playing electric bass), so I couldn't compare :( .

R

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Graham said:
Interesting Chaz, thanks.

What is it about the Ibanez that you like?
The series I Artwoods (built from '78 to '80) were the height of the Japanese craftsmanship, Graham. They were built in a small shop, probably reminiscent of the Guild Hoboken days. These were original designs (post-lawsuit), based on Martin dreads, but not clones. Hand built. Solid woods. Impeccable details. Quite rare. They are still some of the finest dreads I've ever played. By the way, they were built by the same folks who ended off the Tama guitar line in the late '70s -- also fabulous guitars.

I bought a series I AW-75 new in 1981 in NY. It was far and away the best 12-string I'd ever played at the time (compared with Martin dreads and any number of lesser beasties). Thing is, I was working all summer to save up enough to buy one, and I couldn't've bought a Martin or a Guild even if I wanted to. Anyway, my love of these instruments is based on that experience. I've now got three of the original models. Someday I'd like to have them all, but the odds are against it. :) It turns out, by the way, that Dan Fogelberg also owned an AW-75 that was one serial number different than mine. Our guitars are twins. (RIP, Dan).

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ross said:
It was about the closest brush with greatness that I've experienced :lol:

Mine was with a Huss & Dalton. The story was that Paul Simon (of S&G fame :wink: ) had commissioned a custom guitar. H&D built four instruments to his specs. He played them all, took the one he liked best and the guitar I saw/heard was one of the rejects. I was not impressed but then it wasn't a bass and it wasn't blinged out.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My leftie partner has a Walnut cutaway dread from Del Langejans that is real sweet. He's retiring soon. He's making a dozen "Old growth Brazilian, yada yada yada, $19,000 a copy.

I also played a Galloup guitar with a price tag of about $4,500.00 and this was a few years ago. It was sweet but way out of my price range...

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
HI Graham,
To me it was always a matter of do you like to play? or, do you love to play?..I love to play!. Nothing in this world gives me the feeling I get when I am all alone and playing for myself ( and no-one else) to me, that is the groove I strive for. I think you have to play for yourself first, and if you wish, others after that....got short fingers? need a wider/slimmer neck? cant quite stretch to get that last fret? a good luthier can build you a guitar that has the tone YOU like, the neck width and shape YOU like and the scale length YOU want/need with or without as much bling with fancy or plain looking tone woods. Some folks can walk into the mall and buy a suit that fits them to a "T"...and some folks go to a taylor to get one that fits. Guitar manufactuers are building there guitars for the masses. Some of us find exactly what we are happy with "off the rack" :D
and some of us need some "allterations"(sp?)I am in the middle of my third custom guitar and alltogether my fifth custom built instrument. I have had many folks ask me " if you were going to spend that much, why didn't you just buy a " brand X"? but there is nothing like the feeling of picking up that certian guitar that just has "that" special something. No matter what it says on the peghead! :D

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
BTW, Larry would NEVER say get a taylor, or, any other maker. Nothing wrong with them either! But I would recomend looking around first. It has been my experience that in looking around ,Fender, Martin, Gibson, Taylor ect. lean very much toward there own established lines, rather than a new and unique ( to you ) direction!...YMMV..

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would like to point out that the one Guild listed in Steelie's signature is a DV-52 :D

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
dreadnut said:
I would like to point out that the one Guild listed in Steelie's signature is a DV-52 :D

yep...and there aint nothing worng with it either that just a little personal tweaking did not cure...Guild........one of the worlds best off the rack guitars !!!!!! its just not everything I want/ need for what I play.Thats why i have the others!

Frosty

Reaction score
A couple of builders have tried to lure me into placing a commission - but it seems like such a huge gamble! That is, I imagine a talented woodworker could meet specs on appearance - but tone... that is elusive and individual to each guitar and I really doubt that anyone can know exactly what a guitar will sound like before it is finished.

Having said that, I did have a guitar built to order once. Mel McCullough builds copies of Jerry Reed's old Baldwin - he builds them to order and the price is ridiculously reasonable.

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
About once a week I get together with a couple of buddies to play Gypsy jazz. They both have custom guitars by Vancouver luthier Shelley Park http://www.parkguitars.com/ These are stunning hand made instruments. The construction and finishes are top notch and the sound is spectacular. One is a custom by virtue of wood choices and the other is a custom neck size, copied directly from a late 40's Epiphone. I'd love to have one but I just can't justify 4k+ for a specialized instrument designed for a genre I play for fun once a week.

However, a few weeks ago I had the opportunity to play a 16" archtop (Broadway model) made by Bryant Trenier http://www.trenierguitars.com/home.html and oh boy did I like that guitar! Lovely sound, perfect body size and the neck I only dream about, but again 4k+? Not today.... I'm still waiting for my 'retention' bonus. :lol:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Frosty said:
A couple of builders have tried to lure me into placing a commission - but it seems like such a huge gamble! That is, I imagine a talented woodworker could meet specs on appearance - but tone... that is elusive and individual to each guitar and I really doubt that anyone can know exactly what a guitar will sound like before it is finished.

Having said that, I did have a guitar built to order once. Mel McCullough builds copies of Jerry Reed's old Baldwin - he builds them to order and the price is ridiculously reasonable.
Frosty, have you ever paid a visit to Bill Tippin, over in Marblehead? Major league boutique stuff, and right in our back yard, so to speak.