Solid State verses Tube

nanccinut

Reaction score
Was looking to buy a accoustic amp for my Guild .At the start I was leaning towards a 90watt Behringer listed for $300.00 US funds plus $56.00 two day shipping plus a extra $15.00 just because we are Canadians. Then I read negative reviews of this amp in workmanship and poor part quality like in the nobs and noise complaints etc. I am now leaning towards a Traynor AM100T which also is tube amp. How hard are tubes to locate in Canada is my big question and what are some good links to save with thanks? My old UNIVOX is solid state so what is the knock on staying with solid state. Can tube sound be that much better when you factor in the hassel to replace tubes which I would think would have the tendency to give you background hum once a tube starts to fail? Anyone want to drop good links to good 100watt accoustic amps outlets that ship to Cananda without raging price hikes please do with thanks?-nanccinut

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi nanccinut: without either an active preamp - a battery-powered gain stage - in the acoustic pickup assembly or an outboard stand-alone preamp, most people do not find tube amps particularly satisfying for amplifying acoustic guitars. They typically lack 'headroom' or clarity at higher volumes and, when chording, they can turn your signal to ... well ... mush. And, without a carefully designed set of tone controls, they are commonly considered 'mid-rangey' with too much in the mids, and too little bass articulation and lacking volume in the highs.

There are several very popular transistor amps that were designed and sold for acoustic guitar use like the Marshall A-50, (A-100?), and the Fender Acoustisonic which do a better job than a run-of-the-mill (code for 'moderately priced') tube amp. These amps also have built-in effects like chorus, reverb, whatever that provide tone variety that, in a tube amp, would require several effects pedals.

Yes; tubes can sound that much 'better' but 'better' depends largely on what you're trying to do; if you want blues, R&R, R&B, roots rock ... then tubes get the nod irrespective of any perceived hassle factor associated with tubes ... I have tubes that are 40-50 years old that don't hum and besides, it usually isn't the tubes that hum, it's other electrical parts like filter capacitors that cause the bad rap.

From your post, it isn't clear whether you want your moderately-priced 100 watter to be tubes or transistors. I will say that your chance of finding a new or reliably reconditioned 100-watt tube amp for your money ... Canadian or US ... is slight. Good luck in your search! CJ

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tubes go best with magnetic pickups, solid state is best when you want clear, uncolored reproduction, which is what you're looking for when amplifying an acoustic.
I'm a tube head, but when I put a K&K on my D-40, I'll be running straight into the board. In you do a search on "Marshall", you'll find a number of threads on the acoustic amp that has gotten some pretty good LTG reviews. Scratch has one, IIRC.
I can only speak for the "vintager" model of Behringher, but that model has the mainboard fail with regularity. They always seem to be on ebay as project amps - light comes on - no volume. It doesn't make me feel confident about Behringher's quality.

nanccinut

Reaction score
Thanks gang for that info. Will steer towards solid state for sure! Must be why Behringer amps are selling for what looks like a great deal on huge internet outlets :!: Yes the word must be out on them that there is trouble lurking. Are Yorkville amps solid state as have read good reviews on them? Pretty sure they are made in Toronto and that Taynor is also in their line of amps. In the 90-110 watt area can "youall"as you say south of the 49th give me your 1-2-3 in soldid state picks with huge thanks. Getting two the same in the number one slot will make my decision just that much easier indeed. Please keep in mind to help you out that Iam using a LR Baggs in the slot wire pick-up that has a tiny pre-amp circuit on a tiny board inside the barrel jack. It has the tiny volume control up under the sound hole and uses the 9V battery bag :wink: :wink: :wink: -nanccinut

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Default said:
Tubes go best with magnetic pickups, solid state is best when you want clear, uncolored reproduction, which is what you're looking for when amplifying an acoustic.
I'm a tube head, but when I put a K&K on my D-40, I'll be running straight into the board. In you do a search on "Marshall", you'll find a number of threads on the acoustic amp that has gotten some pretty good LTG reviews. Scratch has one, IIRC.
I can only speak for the "vintager" model of Behringher, but that model has the mainboard fail with regularity. They always seem to be on ebay as project amps - light comes on - no volume. It doesn't make me feel confident about Behringher's quality.

I'm no expert on electronics, but it seems to me Behringer products are some of the noisiest products around, much unwanted hiss & other unpleasant electronic noise. . I recently traded a Behringer mixer in for a little YAMAHA & there's a world of difference.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Jeff,

How do acoustics sound through your Roland Jazz Chorus? Or do you still have it? I would imagine it would sound pretty clean. Those JCs were standard equipment for a lot of studio guys.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
jp said:
Hey Jeff,

How do acoustics sound through your Roland Jazz Chorus? Or do you still have it? I would imagine it would sound pretty clean. Those JCs were standard equipment for a lot of studio guys.

JP,

I hauled the Jazz Chorus in to a lesson a couple weeks ago & plugged the F20 with the Fishman Rare Earth, Leads were very clean & darn cool, not so sure it likes the chorus effect, maybe with more time.

The Trace is without question the best Acoustic amp I have.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeff said:
jp said:
Hey Jeff,

JP,

I hauled the Jazz Chorus in to a lesson a couple weeks ago & plugged the F20 with the Fishman Rare Earth, Leads were very clean & darn cool, not so sure it likes the chorus effect, maybe with more time.

The Trace is without question the best Acoustic amp I have.
I've never been too fond of chorus in general, that is not unless I'm wearing parachute pants and have my hair all moussed up. :mrgreen: