Strap Pin

PeteyBass

Reaction score
Hey guys, do any of you have a trick to keep the plastic strap pin locked in place on a 60’s Starfire. I have used a small cut of thin cotton with a drop of glue. But I never feel comfortable, and I have had one pop out during a gig.

Thank God I caught it!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, I didn't know they were plastic :? Is that stock? I'd replace that sucker immediately with a solid metal one with a slightly larger screw. FYI -- a common trick is often to break up a toothpick and insert it into the hole, then the screw will have more wood to grab.

billbass1

Reaction score
New Jersey, USA...close to the old Hoboken factory
You could remove the plastic pin, fill the the cavity with a dowel, the tip end minus the tip itself of a drumstick
works well, then attach a strap lock post right next to the filled in hole.
The screw will make contact with the center block inside the body.
I did that with a JS II bass and a M-85 bass.
Never had to worry about slipage again.
On my newly acquired 68 Starfire II, I am leaving in the plastic end pin.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
Nope. Mine's never popped out. One more thing to worry about :(

Spoke too soon. I was using a new leather strap (one of these, in fact). The strap is pretty stiff and when I tried to get it off the end pin the pin popped out. It's back in with nothing but friction and seems pretty tight but that's probably the last time I use that strap on that bass, at least until it gets broken in.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
jp said:
Wow, I didn't know they were plastic :? Is that stock? I'd replace that sucker immediately with a solid metal one with a slightly larger screw. FYI -- a common trick is often to break up a toothpick and insert it into the hole, then the screw will have more wood to grab.
They're tapered pins so there's no screw.

I fixed one of mine by glueing a small tapered strip of sand paper in the hole and then tapped the pin in with a rubber mallet.

If you're gigging hard with it, I would go with the strap lock route as mentioned above.