It's always a jam

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I will do open mic nights from time to time when some friends suggest going. I'm more at ease when I'm playing to familiar faces than strangers.

I have a friend (John) who, for medical reasons, turned to his music to make a living. He works hard at it every day to polish his "performance". He says that it's his "performance" and song selections that keeps food on the table and not his 35 years of guitar riffs.

His "act" is basically a solo deal with the exception of a "gimmick" in the form of a home made wash tub bass played by a guy (gotta love him) with next to no timing or sense of rythmn. It's a lot of fun to watch and our friend (Walt) doesn't mind the ribbing he gets since he is actually entertaining the crowd AND he likes the attention. :wink: In reality, Walt's bass isn't on a mic so he's not that distracting for John but John plays the "gimmick" up pretty good.

John's gig is basically a party and open jam: 4 or 5 of us who play will go to his gig and he'll do his best to get everyone of us up on stage to do a couple of solo tunes. He'll even ask if anyone else in the room would like to play. Everyone has fun. The crowd gets a truly diverse set of music (like it or not), the bar owner gets 6 musicians for the price of one, we get exposure and experience, and John only works an hour and a half of a 3 hour gig. Plus, I've listened to some great music from folks stepping out of the crowd.

So, that's what I do from time to time. I don't get paid but I don't care. Maybe one day. I've learned a great deal from John on what it means to "perform" and the type of performance it takes in any number of venues. Lots of folks can learn to play guitar but I think you have to be born with the taste for scotch to be a real performer.

Peace

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hey Doc,

What ever happend to the guy that crashed the jam session that you weren't sure what you'd do if he returned? Did he ever make it back? :)

West

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Hey Doc,

What ever happend to the guy that crashed the jam session that you weren't sure what you'd do if he returned? Did he ever make it back? :)

West

Funny story. His name is Rod. I may be GOBB but I CAN be kind too. :D He did come back and he sat right behind me (again).

After one tune I asked if he had any lesson books or tapes at home. I could help if he needed any. Affirmative that he had some but didn't use them. (go figure, eh) I then suggested the best way to learn what the guys are playing is to sit across from us and if he needed any help we'd be more than willing. I DID say that it was a bit distracting to have him sitting behind us.

He appeared to be receptive to our little chat, smiling and nodding his head. His response was something unexpected however. He just looked at me and said flat out, "Well, I guess I'm leaving town". :?:

My God!!! Everyone got silent and there was a long pause and I just knew I had hurt his feelings. After all, he did say once that playing with us was the best time he's ever had. I was stunned and suddenly over-whelmed with guilt. :cry: The silent pause became more deafening and then he said,

"I'm pretty sure I got a job down in south western Ohio along the border. I'm leaving this week." You could hear the collective sigh of relief from everyone in the room.

Well of course that was good news as we all knew he was struggling to find work. Wished him well and talked about the job and where he'll be living. We haven't seen him since and of course all my fella jammers keep razzing me that I ran him off.

Peace

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
Bikerdoc said:
Maybe one day. I've learned a great deal from John on what it means to "perform" and the type of performance it takes in any number of venues. Lots of folks can learn to play guitar but I think you have to be born with the taste for scotch to be a real performer.

Peace

This is true Doc - I try and get by by 'performing' - and relying on my singing, as my guitar playing is total $hite :roll:

john_kidder

Reaction score
Bikerdoc said:
you have to be born with the taste for scotch to be a real performer.

Like so many things in life, the taste for scotch may indeed be necessary to be a real performer. It's just a shame it's not sufficient, or many of us might be real performers, stars even.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Bikerdoc said:
West R Lee said:
Hey Doc,

West

Funny story. His name is Rod. I may be GOBB but I CAN be kind too. :D He did come back and he sat right behind me (again).

After one tune I asked if he had any lesson books or tapes at home. I could help if he needed any. Affirmative that he had some but didn't use them. (go figure, eh) I then suggested the best way to learn what the guys are playing is to sit across from us and if he needed any help we'd be more than willing. I DID say that it was a bit distracting to have him sitting behind us.

He appeared to be receptive to our little chat, smiling and nodding his head. His response was something unexpected however. He just looked at me and said flat out, "Well, I guess I'm leaving town". :?:

My God!!! Everyone got silent and there was a long pause and I just knew I had hurt his feelings. After all, he did say once that playing with us was the best time he's ever had. I was stunned and suddenly over-whelmed with guilt. :cry: The silent pause became more deafening and then he said,

"I'm pretty sure I got a job down in south western Ohio along the border. I'm leaving this week." You could hear the collective sigh of relief from everyone in the room.

Well of course that was good news as we all knew he was struggling to find work. Wished him well and talked about the job and where he'll be living. We haven't seen him since and of course all my fella jammers keep razzing me that I ran him off.

Peace

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah Doc, I'm sorry, I've just gotten around to reading this.....absolutely hilarious!! :lol: :) Thanks for posting.

West