From Rome a Blues 90 for The Stoners

Andy Hiwatt

Reaction score
Last Friday night here in Rome, Italy, I was invited to play, together with other guests, at the concert celebrating the seventh "Birthday" of the best Rolling Stones cover band in Rome, and , as far as I know,the best in Italy, my dear friends THE STONERS. Once in a while in the years I played as a substitute of one of the guitar players when He couldn't make it.
The party on Friday night was really a treat!
A fine night of immortal music, beautiful atmosphere in the club, a great stage, and a professional photographer who took plenty of very nice pictures.

Here are a couple of them:have a look at my last pride and joy,courtesy of Cpt. Juan and LTG : my BLUES 90 while I was singing and playing "Gimme Shelter".

andyatlantide3.jpg

andyatlantide1.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Ooh, see the fire is sweepin, our very street today. Burns like a red coal carpet, Mad bull lost its way ...

Hi Andy; I saw them twice in 1970; in Munich and later at the Jahrundehalle in Frankfurt. Bad snow kept the crowds down, we sat on the floor in a semi-circle and they did everything from Get Yer YaYas Out and Live at MSG ... a most incredible evening. It was my pleasure to help and maintain the tradition of BB members helping other members. Recently, Coastie and Bluesdan have helped Horuss and John Kidder come up with new guitars too and continue that tradition. Great pics ... pleased that it's brought you so much fun and music! Best wishes, John

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Andy ........ long time since we heard from you !

That guitar looks just right on you, but one question ....... PANTS ??

You got something tasteful in stripes to compliment the B-90 ??

Andy Hiwatt

Reaction score
Well, I'm glad everybody seems to appreciate the pictures.

CapnJuan :I'll be forever grateful for that red Blues 90. :wink: :wink:
It's been very pleasing reading your memories of The Rolling Stones in Germany.
I envy you very much for having seen the Stones in their prime, I'm a huge fan and have an encyclopedic knowledge of their music and history (records,films,tv appearences,books and so on..) but being born in the sixties I was able to see them live only in Turin in 1982 -not the best period at all for them- and a couple of years ago here in Rome,in great shape for their age. Both shows were played in big stadia so the atmosphere wasn't that cozy or intimate like in an arena or a smaller place.
Your experience of seeing them play the Get Yer ya yas Out stuff is thrilling to me: that's one of the most incredible live albums of all the times and when I bought the vinyl album at 13 I was obsessed with it,played a million times and my dream was to be able to play those songs one day ,and I was after that sound for ages ...unfortunately I never owned an Ampeg guitar amp, they 're so rare to see here.
Apart from the glimmer twins ,Mick Taylor remains one of my favourite players and was a huge influence when as a kid I started playing guitar.
Listening to Gimme Shelter or playing it still send shivers down my spine....

Coastie 99:
this time I concentrated my sartorial efforts on a vintage early seventies shirt, ha ha ha...
But you're right, next time I'll match the Blues 90 with some striped pants..I have a small collection of them :D :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Andy; I first saw the Rolling Stones in Baltimore in 1965. They were late, their gear was screwed up, and the sound system in the old Baltimore Civic Center wasn't any good - it was a big mess. Yes, the intimacy of the Frankfurt concert was unmatched. I saw them in 1972 two years later at RFK Stadium in Washington ... good but nothing like that snowy night. Mick Taylor stood far right and his solos were spotless, musical, and vigorous ... none of Keith's choppy chukka-chukka ... melodious and soaring ... note for note ... he'd done it over and over and it still sounded fresh and vibrant.

Everything they did had the polish of the studio ... except it was live ... We had an LTG thread here a while ago making up a band out of our favorite players; I had Mick Taylor as my rhythm player only because I thought Mike Bloomfield's work had a little harder blues edge .... but the YaYas music ... to me anyway, is the best they ever did. Best wishes, John

Andy Hiwatt

Reaction score
Yes John, I totally agree about Get yer ya ya's out and generally they never played better music than that from 1968 to 1973 ,the studio albums from Beggars Banquet to Exile On Main Street are all masterpieces and Goat's Head Soup is almost up there ,even if a bit less bluesy and rocking.
Being a devoted fan I adore their psychedelic 1967 "Their Satanic Majesties" that many people consider a clumsy directionless try to emulate "Sgt.Pepper", I rate it one of their best and diverse productions instead.
I also prefer their 1969-1971 five man live line up without horns ,but the 1972 bootlegs and films ( "Ladies and Gentlemen.. The Rolling Stones", or the Montreux Rehearsals you can find on You Tube) find them in fine form. Glad to know that you saw them during that 1972 Tour as well.
I also advice every Stones fan to find( very easy to download these days..) and listen to the 1973 European Tour bootleg recorded in Brussels, one of the best shows they ever played,Keith and Mick T. are absolutely incredible here ,Midnight Rambler at its most powerful,scary and intense with searing solos that embed in your soul and memory forever..

It's great that you managed to see the original Stones with Brian Jones in 1965 even if not on a great concert .
It's really wonderful when you share such nice memories of fantastic shows you saw back in the golden era of R'n'R....

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ahhh, Mick Taylor. His presence made those albums the Stones' best! I also loved his work with John Mayall. :D

R

fab467

Reaction score
Great, great band!

Thanks capn for sharing some very cool memories and Andy for your insightful analysis. :)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Andy Hiwatt said:
... Being a devoted fan I adore their psychedelic 1967 "Their Satanic Majesties" that many people consider a clumsy directionless try to emulate "Sgt.Pepper", I rate it one of their best and diverse productions instead.
Hi Andy; I always thought that 'Satanic Majesties' was a kind of turning point; they tried something different ... it didn't work as well as some of their other material, and afterwards they never looked back ... ...
Andy Hiwatt said:
It's great that you managed to see the original Stones with Brian Jones in 1965 even if not on a great concert...
Yes ... up to a point ... to have the memories ... have to have been there ... 40 years ago :( . Can't speak for the others here who are my age but I'm at the point where I'd consider trading a few of those memories in exchange for adding back a few years. :wink: That is, instead of remembering great Stones or Deep Purple concerts, I wish I was remembering early Kiss concerts ... that would make me 20 years younger!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Ross said:
Ahhh, Mick Taylor. His presence made those albums the Stones' best! I also loved his work with John Mayall...
Hi Ross ... yes, me too. Stark contrast to the bubblegum the networks and record companies were pushing too hard (pun intended) safe, juvenile, antiseptic, pathetic

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
fab467 said:
Thanks capn for sharing some very cool memories
Hi Fab; the good news is that I can still remember them ... although I don't always remember what I had for breakfast :wink: ... Best wishes, John