OK Tonehounds ... how about the JBL D130?

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a 15" JBL D130 locally, reconed by Ted Weber with a paper dustcap. 8 ohms, looks to be in fine shape. I've always been curious about JBLs, never used one. From what little I've heard, I do know that aluminum dust cap is way too zingy for my taste.

Wondering how this speaker would do in my Ampeg Gemini II or tweed pro. I keep thinking about the refined clean tones of Chet Atkins, Duane Eddy mainly, wondering what I could expect from the D130. These have the rep for loud, punchy, clean. Is that true? What about at higher volumes ... what's the drive sound like?

Does anybody hear play them? Thanks
MD

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't like overdrive sound of any JBL with an aluminum dustcap much, they get scratchy in the treble, but I can imagine with a paper dustcap they'll do just fine.

I have some Weber ceramic Cali 10's with a paper dustcap that sound much nicer overdriven than the original cone JBL D110F's I have - the JBL's win clean though.

And as for the little time I've had with D130's, yes, extremely efficient (loud), lots of bass, very "hi-fi" and full-frequency, and don't expect any actual distortion from the speaker itself, it'll just "amplify your amp" if that makes sense. Almost the polar opposite of an Alnico Jensen. Won't turn your tweed Pro into instant Duane Eddy, but it will give the amp more headroom, and make it much more "full frequency".

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Walter: That is helpful. I think I'm going to get it. Keep wondering how it would match up with my Sewell Wampus Cat. A gainy, tweed pro type. The Big Ben in there now sounds fine at higher volumes ... that speaker seems to come to life at higher volumes. Plenty of drive in that amp, it could be that the JBL will give it a better clean sound, especially at medium volume levels. A worthy experiment I'd say. Thanks.
MD