A JS like you've never seen :D

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I've given my JS a new look (semi-cosmetic, semi-functional)
Ever since its neck reset a year or so ago, I felt like I wanted more space between the strings and pickups. When taking the trim-rings out from under the DarkStars, some of the original humbucker routing peeked out on both sides of the pickup... so I didn't really want to take that route (no semi-pun intended). Just recently I found an old black plastic 3-ring binder in my basement. It's about 1/3 the thickness of the original trim rings and cuts very clean-like with a good heavy-duty pair of scissors. So, below is the final product. I decided to keep the center-strip of plastic just because I dig the unique spin it puts on the JS. Also, I think it looks really nice with the new radioshack oversized knobs. What do you guys think?
0502091432.jpg

bassmyf

Reaction score
Looks sharp Ingo,
And good to hear some chatter in the bass section. Did you stick your
neck pickup in backwards?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
bassmyf said:
Looks sharp Ingo,
And good to hear some chatter in the bass section. Did you stick your
neck pickup in backwards?

Yup, I dig the sound more that way... it just speaks to me :mrgreen:
With DarkStars and the original Haggies alike I've found that one inch of difference (roughly the amount the poles move when flipping the pickup 180degrees) can make a world of difference for your sound; makes it a whole different bass. When I got the bass originally, the bridge pickup (or "tango" pickup; that's for you frono :wink:) was facing the other way too... interesting but not my favorite sound. Needless to say, I'm a big supporter of experimenting with these pickups!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
mellowgerman said:
the bridge pickup (or "tango" pickup; that's for you frono :wink:)
So I was thinking booty was the a** pickup or maybe the one that shook the most or the one closest to the bottom but maybe booty and tango were supposed to be bass and treble or neck and bridge? I think I need I just need to be more careful when talking about pickups. 8)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
mellowgerman said:
I've given my JS a new look (semi-cosmetic, semi-functional)
I like the finish and the grain. The overall look is interesting although I keep wanting to see racing stripes on the bass. But it's nice to see a JS getting some respect. (Yes, I know I still have to produce some JS pr0n but...)

mellowgerman

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
mellowgerman said:
the bridge pickup (or "tango" pickup; that's for you frono :wink:)
So I was thinking booty was the a** pickup or maybe the one that shook the most or the one closest to the bottom but maybe booty and tango were supposed to be bass and treble or neck and bridge? I think I need I just need to be more careful when talking about pickups. 8)

nah, i was thinking booty because it has a big booty tone (neck pickup) and tango because it starts with a t like treble (bridge) and sounds good when paired with booty ;)
but now i'm confusing myself. kind of. i think... i'm not sure....

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks good MG. I like that.

Me, I'd pretty soon be thinking that I could make it even better !

There's a huge variety of pickguard materials out there ( thickness ? ) and I'd be thinking of extending out a little on the "treble" side.

Seen this stuff ? ............... http://www.grevenguitars.com/tortis.htm

Are you sure the knobs are right ....... looks kinda cramped down there !

Honest though .. it does look good !

mellowgerman

Reaction score
coastie, those materials look amazing!
I thought about what else I could do in regard to the guard, but I hate drilling new holes in the bass; the way i have it now, the only screws needed are the same ones that hold the pickups to the body.

Krysh,
glad you like it! it's a shortscale (my personal preference)
for a soundclip, check out the following link. i've posted this before elsewhere, but it displays the tone of this bass perfectly and beautifully. let me know what you think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfKZyu-XDz0