Superbird I amp & Guild Rotoverb foot pedal

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 1968 Superbird I, that's in between VGC and mint condition, with covers, dollie, and schematics. I,also,have a Guild Rotoverb foot pedal (year unknown,probably from the 60's) that gives the leslie rotating speaker effect.It's a big heavy thing with 2 switches on it.Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on what the bird is worth? Does anyone have info on the rotoverb and what that could be worth?

A Song In Your Hands

Reaction score
My local shop had a Rotoverb for sale two years ago for $90. I think that was way, way low, and I missed out on it due to lack of funds. Seen a few on Ebay. Keep checking on Ebay to see current pricing.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi richbee1,

The asking price for the Superbird I is highly dependent on the speakers. Does yours have the JBL signature speakers? They can add a extra $100+ to the price of the amp. A buyer will also pay more if is a local pickup. I bought one a few years ago with the JBL for a little under $400, think $385 but it cost me around $120+ to ship. Mine did not have covers however a week after I bought it a NOS set came up on ebay for $50 and I snagged them. I have seen two Superbird heads sold over the years. Both sold for around $100. Since the power amp is inside the cabinet the heads are only preamp and a control switch for the power supply. They have limited use without the power section. The shipping issue typically makes a sale tricky. These amps use a obsolete 8417 power tube that are pretty hard to find and a bit expensive so that could be an issue if the amp needs to be retubed at time of sale.

I have been in a similar situation the last few week as I was trying to sell a 1965 Thunderbass rig. It is vintage and beauty but the shipping cost have kept a few honest buyers from bidding.

How does the amp work and sound?

In regards to the Rotoverb...I thought one of these came up on ebay or CraigsList the last few weeks. I am pretty sure it listed at $200 but I don't know if it sold.

M

Reaction score
I believe they are jensen speakers,but I'd have to look. My father bought it for me in 1972 when I was 12yrs.old.When I turned 17, I bought a marshall,and used that all the time. The superbird was used very little in the past 30 years.
When the family came along, the guitar took a back seat(unfortunately).Everything worked on it the last time I used it a few years ago,and it is crystal clear. It's a great jazz amp in my opinion.

Reaction score
He bought me the amp,rotoverb, and a new X-50 archtop (1971 or 2)from my guitar instructor,who taught out of his basement in Slatington,PA. He sold some new and used Guild equipment. As for pictures,I'll post some as soon as I can.

matsickma

Reaction score
Ahh Slatington. Been through that town a number of times. Actually had a minor fender bender on a rainy night making that sharp 90 degree turn in the center of down town near the statue of the fireman. I was heading to LCCC to see a band. I think I was around 20 yrs old at the time driving my older brothers almost new 1974 Chevy Nova. (He wasn't to happy!)

So it sounds like your Dad was a musician and sold/traded some gear to get you started. It looks like he went all out and got you the best amp Guild was making at that time.

M :D