Gigging Tips: Plugged and Unplugged

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've been playing at Ninfa's Restaurant once a month for the last year or so. I've relied, to this point, on the Marshall amp for vocal mic and acoustic-electric guitar... For the first time on 23 May, I'll play inside, unplugged.

I don't know why, but this scares the heck out of me... Tips, help, advice appreciated big time...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Scratch said:
I don't know why, but this scares the heck out of me... Tips, help, advice appreciated big time...

I don't know why either. For me messing with amps and mikes is just one more thing that can go wrong so there is less stress without them. I also find that my mistakes are louder when amplified so I can pretend people don't notice if I'm all acoustic. I think you'll do fine.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Graham said:
You've played many times in Arlington and elsewhere unplugged Ken.

No worries as far as I'm concerned. :mrgreen:

You've been to Ninfa's, Grammy. It is downright hot here now, so this will be inside vs. the garden room. Tables are up close so I can't 'hide' in the corner behind the plants :? :roll: Some songs require hard strumming/picking, and I feel like I need to tone down or something so I don't interfere with folks who are chatting at their tables etc. Maybe I need to go with soft stuff... heck... I dunno...

bighouse

Reaction score
Why are you unplugging? Is it because you're moving inside?

If they'll let you, I would still plug in, but keep the volume low. You'll get better projection ...

my $.02 worth.

Bill

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's easy, go with the Goldilocks theory and use the crowd to gauge the correct volume!

If they have their fingers in their ears, you're too loud.

If they're leaning foward straining to hear you, you're too quiet.

If they're not playing any attention to you at all, it's just right!

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Will you have to sing more loudly? That could create some strain on the vocal cords.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe that's the answer, Bill. They offered to let me plug in when I visited with them last night. The room is small; 18' x 20' maybe with five booths on each side and six or seven tables in the middle. They'll move out a corner table to make space, but there will be two tables within three feet of my stool.

I visited a bistro a few weeks ago where a geezer was playing unplugged in the corner, but he had good separation from the tables (eight or nine feet) so he could bang on the acoustic when he wanted/needed to.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
GoG: Good input as usual. What about gagging and puking? :lol: :lol:

Ross: That's my dilema. With tables so close, I feel like I'm in their face so I think I'll naturally try to sing quieter, but when I try to tone down; it is easy for me to go way off key. I'm darn near ready to back out or say hey; I'll go back out to the heat of the garden room.

bighouse

Reaction score
"What about gagging and puking?"

That just means they've peaked too soon ...

Plug in. Save your voice.

Can you get the amp up off the floor? maybe on a chair or something?

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've got an amp stand; Its a matter of space, but I may try setting up one evening after they close to see how it fits...

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
I vote for plugging in. Consider setting the amp up in front of you pointing at you as a monitor. You'll be able to balance guitar/vocals and hear yourself so you won't strain your voice, have a bit of reverb, and the room will get some bounce. Keep it low, just loud enough to hear yourself well. As the room fills with people you might be be glad you've got some reinforcement and may even need to turn it up a bit. If you're acoustic, you're stuck, and don't be afraid to ask the folks who work there (or the Manager) if your volume is appropriate.

Sometimes it good to think about your function when you make your set list. Are you the main attraction they come to see or atmosphere? Both are cool but may indicate different musical choices. Anyway, if you have fun so will everybody else! :D

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Good tips from all of you and sincerely appreciated. The restaurant is a small lakeside joint specializing in TexMex cuisine. The crowd is always hard to figure out as they tend to be folks who are escaping to the lake for the weekend (time share resort next door). I've had fair response to the set list in the past and I add a tune or two each month to freshen things up a bit. The back garden room is a comfortable setting and less intimidating; It lends to informality and good rapport with the audience as they choose to be there where the music is. It is a screened in area and this time of year in south Texas, just too hot from May through September (ask West and RussD!).

The inside dining area is where people come to eat. I almost feel like I'm intruding in their space, but Sandy (the owner) wants to give it a shot inside to see how it goes.

If I understand you, Joe; you're saying 'point the amp straight at me?' I kinda like that idea, but wouldn't I have a feedback problem?

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Joe's idea has some merit. If the volume is sufficiently low, feedback can be avoided. You might try other amp locations as well - perhaps behind or beside you, tilted far back so that it's aimed up at your ears. A lot will depend on how you are set up in your area (it sounds cramped - can you arrive early and experiment with amp placement?)

It's a challenge, for sure. Please let us know how it goes.
cheers
R

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Scratch said:
If I understand you, Joe; you're saying 'point the amp straight at me?' I kinda like that idea, but wouldn't I have a feedback problem?
You will if you're miking a flat top, less if it's got a pup but it will depend a bit on how you hold a guitar and the exact placement of the amp. If the guitar's on your right and the amp to your left you should be OK. Just make sure you're not pointing the soundhole at the amp and keep the vol down. Ross' suggestions are great... try and get there early enough to experiment a bit. Off to the side, pointed up, whatever works... it depends on how much room you have.

On the other hand, if worrying about the amp and extra gear and placement adds a stressful element and it's a small place, it could be more trouble than it's worth... only you can answer that, but gigs should be fun! Well, unless you're just in it for the big bucks. :lol:

I'm betting it will go well... let us know!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Do you remember my first advice to you Kenny......drink a glass of wine? Drink two! :wink: No, I honestly don't know what you could possibly be concerned about with your talent. Other than the night at Ninfa's with you, I've never played plugged in.....maybe a couple times at Arlington. You'll sound every bit as good without the amp as you do with it.....keep your chin up brother and knock 'em dead! I've recorded through the amp, but just to doctor myself up....you don't need to.

West

Andy Hiwatt

Reaction score
I've played many acoustic gigs in a similar situation, a very small room with people eating and very close to me, but I never had any doubt about plugging in: no matter how small the room or how many people are there ,when people are chatting, eating ,waiters passing by and so on the room becomes "noisy" and it's not good for the music, the sound and your voice..you run the risk of not hearing yourself very well and strain your voice or not hearing your guitar if you're fingerpicking...
Like others suggested: just plug in at low volumes, do a good soundcheck for guitar and microphone balance,then try to adjust things after the first couple of songs,one strummed one fingerpicked , and make the new volumes according to the actual audience and the loudness you feel in the room.
Make sure you have enough songs to change the setlist if you feel some songs don't work.
Have fun and Rock the place!!! 8) 8)

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Man, am I glad I asked the question. Its been bugging the heck out of me. I'll take the amp and play as accustomed but with the sound turned down. I'm sure amp placement is a big concern; I'll get there early an set up accordingly. You guys are awesome. Big ole thanks to all...