Guild/Hartke history?

jte

Reaction score
I'm trying to recall some stuff to set the history right over on TalkBass...

Anyway, I know that Jaco Pastorious was the connecttion between Larry Hartke and Guild. The original Hartke aluminum cone speaker cabinets were Guild/Hartke. But does anyone know WHEN Hartke went to Samson, and what was going on at Guild at the time?

Thanks!!

jte

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi jte: can't answer your question but ... if you're into weight-lifting, in the St Augustine FL area on Craigslist Guild/Hartke 4X10" cabinet ... with plenty of aluminum!

3mf3of3l2ZZZZZZZZZ94o230bc7fca83614ae.jpg

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
jte said:
I'm trying to recall some stuff to set the history right over on TalkBass...

Anyway, I know that Jaco Pastorious was the connecttion between Larry Hartke and Guild. The original Hartke aluminum cone speaker cabinets were Guild/Hartke. But does anyone know WHEN Hartke went to Samson, and what was going on at Guild at the time?

Thanks!!

jte
I think Guild was Hartke's distributor, and Samson acquired them somewhere around the late-80s. Don't quote me on this, I'm just clearing cobwebs from the synapses.

jte

Reaction score
Well, I was a Guild dealer from 1977-1988. I bought the first two Guild/Hartke cabinets we got for myself. About a year or two later, they switched from the cloth grill fabric to the punched steel grill covers, and that's when I think Samson had taken over distribution.

I was just trying to get year when the change happened.

BTW, I really liked my two 4x10s. Not that heavy compared to other stuff until Neo-magnets got reliable and working a few years ago. And the Hartke drivers were reliable for me. I kept one until about 2002, using every bass amp I've ever owned through it. A Music Man HD-130, a Peavey TB Raxx driven with a CS-400 bridged to mono, a Hartke 3500, an Eden WT-400, and and Eden WT-600 bridged to mono.

jte

The EH Man

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hi jte: can't answer your question but ... if you're into weight-lifting, in the St Augustine FL area on Craigslist Guild/Hartke 4X10" cabinet ... with plenty of aluminum!

3mf3of3l2ZZZZZZZZZ94o230bc7fca83614ae.jpg

The 2-10 I picked up recently isn't exactly light either.