Milling Down Dunlop 6105 Frets

Reaction score
This is about an electric guitar, which I think this sub-forum covers. (I'm currently having my 1976 Guild D-55's neck reset, after gathering much useful information from Lets Talk Guild.)

My 2000 Gibson '59 Les Paul Historic Reissue came stock with Dunlop 6105 (or Gibson's equivalent size) frets. They measure .090" wide and .055" tall, are great for bending, leave lots of room for my fingers, and probably contribute some to the guitar's sustain.

The one problem I've had, however, is open "country chords" going sharp on the first two or three frets , particularly on the G-string. The nut slots have been lowered as far as they can go without risking open-string buzzing. I also can't lighten my touch enough to stop going sharp. And my other electric guitars, whose frets are not nearly as tall as the 6105s, do not have this problem.

So I'm having the frets milled down to around .045" tall, which is about as low as some others have gone who've also had sharpness problems with the 6105 frets but otherwise want to keep them.

The work won't get started for at least a week, so any comments will be appreciated (i.e., stop me before I kill again).

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
You didn't mention what gauge strings you are using. But, those are fairly high,thin frets and its very easy to push a light gauged string ie. (.09-.010) out of tune. I think you are correct that lower frets are the way to go. Good luck :)

Reaction score
Steelpickin' said:
You didn't mention what gauge strings you are using. But, those are fairly high,thin frets and its very easy to push a light gauged string ie. (.09-.010) out of tune. I think you are correct that lower frets are the way to go. Good luck :)

Thanks very much for your reply. I use Gibson Vintage Reissue .010-.046.