Banjo "roll" continues thanks to GC- note: rambling story

tjmangum

Reaction score
Couple of years ago I picked up a generic banjo at a sale and paid probably too much to have it set up, so that it was now a cheap banjo, but with good action. Needless to say, that experiment didn't last too long. About a month ago, I came across a CL ad from a small shop looking to sell or trade a Deering Boston banjo. I shot him a few pictures of a guitar (non Guild) that I was willing to trade and we ended up working out a deal. Immediately had a lot of fun with a decent sounding, playing banjo. A week later I'm scanning CL again, and a guy has several banjos for sale, including a Goodtime 2 (the one with the resonator) for 100 bucks. Another done deal and it comes with the hard case!
Flash forward to Monday and with my wife out of town (new grand baby coming soon) I'm checking out what, if any deals, the local Guitar Center has for it's Memorial Day "list sale". No guitar deals to be found in the acoustic room (glad to see the humidity is up to 32% versus the usual 25% - which is even more interesting because the outside air is probably 50% on that day) So I'm about to leave and figure I'll scan the "list" again, because what they have on the pages is in no particular order and doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason.
Anyway, I spot high on the wall a Deering Sierra at a good price, not a great price, not amazing - maybe 50% off retail. And on the list, under MISC. GUITARS I see another banjo listed with a bunch of letters and numbers and the following: List 4799, recent price 2700, special "list price" 719. Say what?
Now I'm thinking, what kind of boneheaded error is this and what the heck and where the heck is this banjo? So, I start scanning every banjo I can find in the room and there above the double glass doors, high on the wall, is what appears to be this item. Ok, where is one of those sales guys who are always there when you don't want them? I can't even see one within 50 feet out in the booming electric spaces. So I go and get the ladder out from behind the counter, climb up and get the banjo down. Beautiful looks, great sound. Curly maple neck, maple resonator. What is it? I know Deering, I know Gibson of course, even know something about the Recording Kings and some of the better Asian models and there were 3 Fender banjos at floor level priced in the 500-800 dollar level where I predict they may well stay for a long time. The head is marked Tennessee and the trc says Crafters:
crafterhead.jpg

So I call my son up, who's at home and ask him to see if he can find anything on this thing. Nope, no banjos under the heading Tennessee Crafters.
I've got my arms around this thing and I start playing the few chords and licks I know. Sounds great, but what's the story? Finally, a sales rep walks in, "Andy" and he remarks, "Hey, that's a great banjo." I ask him if he knows anything about it, to which he responds, "Yeah, Crafters of Tennessee, they're made in Nashville in a small shop. That ones been on the wall for awhile, but I got it down the other day and cleaned it up."

Needless to say the plastic came out. Andy went and found the heavy duty, TKL faux alligator case and yes, I caved in on paying for the case after some back and forth. And here it is:
Crafterbanjofront.jpg

crafterbanjoback.jpg

crafterbanjocloseup.jpg

So banjo,case, and oppressive sales tax out the door for about 9 bills. Which comes out to about 20% of retail, which the current retail is actually about 10% more than the store retail. And the rest of the story is that Crafters of Tennessee instruments are built by Mark Taylor, son of Tut Taylor.
Still trying to figure out what, if anything is wrong with this other than GC decided to clear out old stock. Not to mention, why would something like this end up in GC outside of some kind of distribution deal that put a couple of instruments into each store.
Anyway, that's my story. Thanks for reading.
Wonder if Guild ever entertained the idea of building banjos?
tj

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a great story TJ, and congrats on a great deal! Sounds like you scored on of their classic maples--a TBC-MP. Not that I'm a banjo expert (definitely not :( ) but I've never heard of them before. There's one at Elderly's for a helluva lot more than you paid. It oozes quality craftsmanship. And a copper flashed sand-cast tone ring--wow? Interesting history on their website.

BTW, did you take a look at their other instruments? Their Custom Tenessee Imperial sure looks familiar. If I could only place where I've seen that shape before. . . hmm? :?

Also, that Tennessee Crossroads Electric is one of the most peculiar guitars I've seen. Thin acoustic electric like a Taylor T5, stylized f-hole, thru-body neck, a resonator, one P-90 pickup/one resonator pickup, and three giant knobs that look like they came off a 60s Silvertone amp! Intriguing.

I'm interested to hear your opinion of your banjo.

tjmangum

Reaction score
Thanks JP for the kind words. Yes, their web site is rather interesting if not a bit confusing to navigate around on. Tried to find reviews on their guitars and can only find a few references, which are mixed. Don't know enough about Dobros to know where they might fit in, outside of the fact that Tut himself was "the man" for most of the 50's and 60's for Nashville session work.
You're right, this is a TBC-MP model, nice neck, just a bit narrower than my Deering, good resonant sound. With banjos right now I'm at a simple level in that I can tell you what I like and I know I like the sound of this one. A bit woodier, if that makes sense, than the Deering Boston, which does not have a wood tone ring. Sounds good, plays good, looks good. It's a keeper for now.
Cheers,
tj

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
taabru45 said:
Found this great page at Folk of the Oak........huge page of video samples, many makes, and models, including Tennessee Crafters .........have fun... :lol: Steffan
http://www.folkofthewood.com/page2519.htm#cot

A whole website devoted to banjos :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Going to 'Folk at the Oak' the 10th pic down shows Ray Bradfield (a fine musician/songwriter) with his banjo 'Peggy Seegar' - which has a particularly long neck and maybe of interest to banjo aficionados. Ray is a brilliant guitarist, so it is a shame he wastes his talents on the banjo on occassion :wink:

http://www.finemusicworks.com/Oakpics2005.htm

Photos taken on a night I wasn't there :mrgreen:

tjmangum

Reaction score
Thanks Steffan for the "Folk of the Oak" reference. I've never dug very deep there. Wow, lots of interesting stuff.
tj

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I'd say you got one heckuva deal - the Classic Maple lists for $5249.00 on their website :shock:

I really like their $15,000 mandolin :D I wonder if GC has any of those laying around?

tjmangum

Reaction score
dreadnut said:
Yeah, I'd say you got one heckuva deal - the Classic Maple lists for $5249.00 on their website :shock:

I really like their $15,000 mandolin :D I wonder if GC has any of those laying around?
Geez, I didn't look at any mando's. I'll keep my eyes open for that one the next time I'm there. :lol:
tj