Two impressive clean boosts

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
We don't talk effects much here. Two new ones (to me) are so good, time for a shout out.

The first is Paul Cochrane's TIM. It's two pedals in one, a main clean boost, plus a second level boost along side. Plus a send/return effects loop, provided for use with EQ pedals, but can be used with anything. The main boost can indeed do clean, one of the very best I've heard. With highly effective controls, including perfectly-voiced, subtractive bass and treble knobs. (As gain goes up, try backing these off. Voila, the tone stays together.) The gain knob on this first-level has enough effect to get into medium gain territory. It's remarkably versatile, with smooth, beautiful tones everywhere. The second boost is just as good. I'm no big distortion hound, didn't think I'd use it. Not so. If you keep gain low on the first boost, a little higher on the second, you can achieve an equivalent gain as you would by just nudging up the first level gain knob ... but it sounds completely different. Cochrane's stuff is much praised, and now I see why.

The other is the Durham Sex Drive. (Yeah, I know ...) This one had long intrigued me. Finally gave in and picked one up. Gotta say, it's a keeper. The SD bills itself as a clean boost. In use, I think of it as a "clean sustain" pedal. Upping the gain knob won't get you the typical grit, or edge, you might find in other pedals. It seems to widen the tonal presence, and add sustain. Not really like any other pedal I've tried. Hard to describe. Almost regardless of setting, as long as it's on, the sound is better. Some kind of buffer magic going on here. I brought it to rehearsal, plugged tele into this, delay and my Ampeg Gemini II. There shouldn't be many surprises here ... I use this stuff all the time ... but it truly never sounded this good.

Dirt pedals I don't much care for; clean boost is something else. These two are remarkable.
MD