I need counseling... > linked to new thread

Qvart

Reaction score
I'm seriously tempted to buy a shredder guitar, but I'm conflicted. I'm supposed to be the president of the Anti-Floyd Rose League yet I must admit the metal-head in me knows the S-100's just can't pull off the Slayer/Metallica/Rage/Pantera stuff I cut my teeth on back in the day.

Here's the deal:

I'm finally nudging my housemate (who is primarily a bass player) towards another band project. He has a cache of guitars he inherited from a friend who buys them and then either gives them away or sells them for a fraction of what they're worth. The plan is to sell them for cash to put towards a bass head since his Hartke bit the dust. Or trade them for a bass head if someone has one to swap for some gits. There are four guitars up for sale, none of which set my world on fire. The shredder doesn't either necessarily (not like an S-100 anyway) but it is built for a style of playing that reawakens the 15-year old in me.

2000 Ibanez RG570: basswood body, Ibanez V7, S1, and V8 pickups, double-locking tremolo, 25.5" scale, 24 jumbo frets, OHSC, maple neck - Wizard II, which is SAH-WEEEEEET!

He wants out of it only what he paid for it - $300. It probably isn't worth much more than that if he were to sell it on CL or Ebay - it has some marks from normal play, and needs a full set up badly - maybe $450 tops.

Shall I?

02front.jpg

Click here for a few more pics.

Just in case any of you should happen to be interested in any of the other guitars he's looking to part with:

Ibanez GSA60

Schecter Diamond Series Omen 6 (with Jackson and DiMarzio pickups)

Jackson Baritone

Jay Turser Resonator

There's an Ibanez Ergodyne 5-string bass too. Don't have pics of that one yet.

Oh, one more thing: I need a new clutch in my car more than another guitar. ;)

stclrob

Reaction score
Re: I need counseling...

If you like the Ibanez and hate the FR, just block it. If it needs a set-up anyway, the luthier could do this for you. Otherwise there are plenty of shredding guitars out there that have no tremolo.

Qvart

Reaction score

stclrob said:
If you like the Ibanez and hate the FR, just block it. If it needs a set-up anyway, the luthier could do this for you. Otherwise there are plenty of shredding guitars out there that have no tremolo.

You know, I generally frown on Floyd Roses, but this one actually works correctly. I'm going to do some basic setup stuff on it myself and see how it is after that. We had the bridge completely off last night so after spending time getting it all back together I didn't feel like messing with the saddles or truss rod.

Once again, this is a guitar I wouldn't normally be in the market for, but I would be getting it from a friend at a decent price. The main selling point is the neck - it really is nice.

I guess the good part is I can take my time. The guitar isn't going anywhere right away unless we add it to the ones that are about to go on CL. My housemate was on the fence about parting with it anyway so I don't think he'll mind if it hangs around for a bit.

But I'm not investing in spandex or big hair or becoming a Dragonforce fan! ;)

stclrob

Reaction score

Qvart said:
The main selling point is the neck - it really is nice.
You know, a good neck is really a luxery. My S-300 feels that way - just perfect.

But I'm not investing in spandex or big hair or becoming a Dragonforce fan!
Better than Finntroll just in case you change your mind. :D

Qvart

Reaction score

stclrob said:
You know, a good neck is really a luxery. My S-300 feels that way - just perfect.

Yup, and so is my '74 S-100. If they have similar necks, I know what you mean. But it's not for metalhead shredding. The Ibanez Wizard II neck.........DOOM! ;)

bassmyf

Reaction score

Do you know what your friend is asking for the Jay Turser Resonator? Just curious. I think..

Qvart

Reaction score

bassmyf said:
Do you know what your friend is asking for the Jay Turser Resonator? Just curious. I think..

I looked up info on all the guitars to try to figure out what to sell them for. I'm not sure about the resonator. It looks like they went for $250 - $300 new. I can find out what he would like to have for it if you're interested.

I can tell you that all the models I found info on had bolt on necks. This one is a set neck model. But I really don't know anything about them. Other than a couple little scratches on the back it's pretty much in unplayed condition.

I'm going to try to get a Craigslist ad posted later today with all the guitar, specs, and asking prices so I'll post a link to it then. And if anyone's interested in something you can make an offer and I'll run it by my housemate.

-G.

Qvart

Reaction score

Qvart said:
I'm going to try to get a Craigslist ad posted later today with all the guitars, specs, and asking prices so I'll post a link to it then. And if anyone's interested in something you can make an offer and I'll run it by my housemate.

-G.

The ad is up on Craigslist.