Chromes

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Long enough ago that I'm not going to look for it and link, there was a thread about strings and Happy Face offered me a set of D'Addario Chromes. They are on the Starfire (and I had some help doing that) now and I have been remiss about a report.

They are light flatwounds and I will eventually post all of the info. They fit just fine. They have a different sound compared to 30 year old Rotosounds and the core characteristics of the sound are there whether I play acoustic or amplified. They have a bit of grit without being trebley if that makes sense. They remind me of the Casady tone from Bless Its Pointed Head, although I acknowledge there is a bit of wishful thinking when I compare anything I do to Jack.

What is interesting is the feel. On the Rotosounds I felt like my right hand fingers would "bounce" off the string whereas these tend to bend with the attack. The result is if I'm not careful it sounds like I am bouncing the string off the PU.

I am really having a lot of fun and wonder why it took me so long to change strings. I don't have a mic so i didn't even try and do the before of the before and after but since words like "grit" are so unhelpful I really do need to figure out something that illustrates the sound I am so poor at describing.

Thanks, Happy Face.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
hmm interesting. I'm still rocking away at my holy old set of heavy gauge fender flats. i've tried pretty much everything in the book and I always come back to these. granted, all the others never made it to being anywhere near as broken in as my holy set, but they just never sound or feel right.

on a side note; i love your jack link! it's always so nice to bring back memories of victorious glory and confirmation :mrgreen:

gilded

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
....... since words like "grit" are so unhelpful I really do need to figure out something that illustrates the sound I am so poor at describing.......

How about, 'True Grit'??? :lol:

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
What is interesting is the feel. On the Rotosounds I felt like my right hand fingers would "bounce" off the string whereas these tend to bend with the attack. The result is if I'm not careful it sounds like I am bouncing the string off the PU.

That's really interesting - I had a similar problem with LaBellas on my SF-I - maybe I should try some heavier strings, like Rotos, though I prefer the looser feel of the LaBellas...