Mello knows Jack

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Started over here but I thought it might be more fun in Bass.

1) Casady's part to Other Side has changed a whole lot. I noted the similarity to Altamont except you were able to use your G string.

3) I find on the SF that I get that metallic click based upon how hard my RH attack is. I can make it come or go depending upon how hard I attack. Curiously I can't duplicate it on the JS which may be the difference between the Hagstrom and the Guild humbuckers. I have a similar issue with the B4 so I have always attributed the sound I heard on your DA (but not your SF) to RH technique. You suggest you might play Other more aggressively than Hesitation so it may be technique more than equipment, but I am open to other explanations.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Started over here but I thought it might be more fun in Bass.

1) Casady's part to Other Side has changed a whole lot. I noted the similarity to Altamont except you were able to use your G string.

3) I find on the SF that I get that metallic click based upon how hard my RH attack is. I can make it come or go depending upon how hard I attack. Curiously I can't duplicate it on the JS which may be the difference between the Hagstrom and the Guild humbuckers. I have a similar issue with the B4 so I have always attributed the sound I heard on your DA (but not your SF) to RH technique. You suggest you might play Other more aggressively than Hesitation so it may be technique more than equipment, but I am open to other explanations.

1.) Jack is the man :mrgreen:
though I always thought it was his A string. but for those of you who haven't seen it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgdfe_JRXns

3.) I'll do a recording of hesitation blues on my dearmond to test it out; just may take me a while to get close to the sound of the Thunderstar bass head with my hybrid Bassman

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
mellowgerman said:
though I always thought it was his A string.

Now I need to go back and look. If it was the A or D string then I am just flabbergasted that he can still play like that.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
This snapshot is from the 0:28 mark of the video... and this is exactly why Casady is "the only Jack" :wink:
jack.jpg

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I spent a few hours on Tuesday with Jack at a friend's private studio where I've been working on a record. Jack came over to do an overdub for Moonalice. He was playing his modded (4-string) old bass balalaika, and since a lot of my gear was there, he was tracked through my U47 and my chain of EAR electronics, 824M, 822Q and 660. Pretty stunning tone, way beyond any ABG I've ever heard.

DS

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Oh man. Your stories are fascinating, but I always get sooo jealous! :lol:

mgod said:
I spent a few hours on Tuesday with Jack at a friend's private studio where I've been working on a record. Jack came over to do an overdub for Moonalice. He was playing his modded (4-string) old bass balalaika, and since a lot of my gear was there, he was tracked through my U47 and my chain of EAR electronics, 824M, 822Q and 660. Pretty stunning tone, way beyond any ABG I've ever heard.

DS

mellowgerman

Reaction score
fronobulax said:

I got the thunderstar back! Most of the harshness of the DA is in fact gone! The sound is still different than the '66 SFI, but the clank has been spank(ed), so to speak.
I'll make haste to get you groove cats a new clip.

P.S. Check out the new airplane live video i found on youtube!!!! (3/5 of a mile from woodstock)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtxhd0Yvmg0