Need help with an Old Hag

dane

Reaction score
A friend of my wife bought her daughter an electric guitar for her to learn on. The teacher took one look at it as wanted to buy it. That’s a red flag to anyone. So now the mom is wondering what she bought and would like some info on it. I have not seen the guitar yet but this is what I know, it’s an older Hagstrom with a serial number of 712215. I don’t know much about Hagstrom so any info you have could be helpful. How do I determine what model it is? I will be asking for a pic to post later. Thanks.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
dane said:
A friend of my wife bought her daughter an electric guitar for her to learn on. The teacher took one look at it as wanted to buy it. That’s a red flag to anyone. So now the mom is wondering what she bought and would like some info on it. I have not seen the guitar yet but this is what I know, it’s an older Hagstrom with a serial number of 712215. I don’t know much about Hagstrom so any info you have could be helpful. How do I determine what model it is? I will be asking for a pic to post later. Thanks.

Hello Dane,

Sounds like she has a Hagstrom Viking from the second half of the '60s. It is a semi-acoustic electric guitar, somewhat like a double-cutaway Guild Starfire guitar.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Dane,
Those are great old well-built guitars. Most of the Hagströms I've played have very thin-profiled necks, especially the basses. The company and rights were bought by an American company. I think they're manufactured now in China. The older ones I've encountered have been very nice.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
hagstrom.jpg

stig

Reaction score
jp said:
Dane,
Those are great old well-built guitars. Most of the Hagströms I've played have very thin-profiled necks, especially the basses. The company and rights were bought by an American company. I think they're manufactured now in China. The older ones I've encountered have been very nice.
I have a 60's Hag 12-string, and I love it. Been using it for over 25 years. And yes, the neck is quite wide and very thin.

Tony Burns

Reaction score
Use to own a Hagstrom Black swede- looked alot like a black Les paul -believe it was from the seventies- a very nice sounding electric ( I changed out the tuners -still have those old style steeped tuners -)