Scratchy Pots

dane

Reaction score
I need to clean the pots and switches on my Peavey amp. They’re starting to get scratchy. Can any of you recommend a good cleaner that I might be able to find fairly easily? Thanks. 8)

Qvart

Reaction score
dane said:
I need to clean the pots and switches on my Peavey amp. They’re starting to get scratchy. Can any of you recommend a good cleaner that I might be able to find fairly easily? Thanks. 8)

Any contact cleaner will work. Check Radio Shack. Just make sure it has a lubricant too. Worked great on the Marshall's pots.

pRS1C-2266299w345.jpg

danerectal

Reaction score
I would only use something that's formulated specifically for electronics, especially if you care about what your working on. I got a can of the contact cleaner for a couple bucks more than WD-40 would run. A couple bucks extra is cheap for peace of mind.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
WD-40 is not for electronic use - please don't use it for such, particularly if you are dealing with high voltage.
Keep in mind that some manufacturers can be "thrifty" when it comes to the controls they use, so, if using a cleaner does not help, the pot may need to be replaced.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dane:
To clean contacts, switches, jacks: Caig Red
After cleaning, to lubricate moving surfaces; pots, switches: Caig Blue

Must use lubricating-type cleaner on pots and switches. Good luck. J

danerectal

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hi Dane:

I knew I should have revised my post. I got the tuner cleaner that Qvart references in his post. I should get some plain old cleaner for jacks and the like. Thanks for the heads-up though. Definitely good to use a wrench for a wrench job and a hammer for a hammer job.

Qvart

Reaction score
danerectal said:
I got the tuner cleaner that Qvart references in his post. I should get some plain old cleaner for jacks and the like.

Yes, I was thinking of the pots. Cleaned all the ones on my Marshall recently so had that in mind. Definitely need the lubricant for the moving parts.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Hi Dane:

Capn's dead on. Deoxit is made for sensitive electronics, and it's the best stuff. I use gallons of the stuff. Wish they made a Costco size.

deoxit2.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Once upon a way back when ... it was known as Cramolin. The ad below is from the 2nd qtr 1987 issue of Audio Amateur. It's always been expensive; check the lower right corner of the ad below; $18 for two, two-dram (drams? ... ask Jerry or Coastie) bottles:

cramolin.jpg

It was available early as a Freon-driven spray but Freon was found to cause enhanced BO in audiophiles so its formula was changed: child is the father of man .... Caig Red/Blue begatted by Cramolin ...:

caigcans.jpg

It's the standard for reliability .... not to mention that they have practically cornered the marketing market ... especially in lubricating-type spray ... there really isn't much else out there.