Favorite Gigging Acoustic Woods

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I tend to favor mahogany for occasional small gigging venues. I love the deep bass and richness of the DV52 rosewood, but the D40 seems much more comfortable for plugged or unplugged gigging.

When I gig with a 12er, the JF30-12 (maple) is my fave through the acoustic amp although I sure like the comfort of the F212 hog... I'd like to hear some other thoughts, rationale etc...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't gig much, but the few times I have in recent years have been on the F-512 with K&K, Ken.

I'm looking forward to getting into recording this year, if I ever get to it. When that happens, I suspect the Taylor 655 or the JF-30-12 will become the axes of choice. The Taylor has this wonderfully dry sound to it that I love, and it's nice and light too (for a jumbo).

12stringer

Reaction score
I love the rosewood sound! It has punch, deepness and sparkle! Roger Hodgson (Supertramp) plays a Guild F512 as his main gigging guitar...it sounds fantastic live...so that's good enough for me :wink:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I saw Roger doing a solo performance recently on the boob tube and he had an F-512 and F-412 on stage with him along with some electronic keyboards.

What a unique voice on that guy.

12stringer

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
I saw Roger doing a solo performance recently on the boob tube and he had an F-512 and F-412 on stage with him along with some electronic keyboards.

What a unique voice on that guy.
Hi Chaz...Roger's voice makes it a challenge to play some of his songs...he is an original...his Give a Little Bit and Even in the Quietest Moments are great 12 string songs. I would do Sister Moonshine as well (fantastic chords and rhythm in that song) but can't sing that high.