Chet Atkins CE Pickup

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Not a Guild, I know, but I'm hoping someone can steer me in the direction of a replacement pickup for my '91 Chet CE. The original was a Shadow SH-079P, apparently out of production. The hard to find aspect of this pickup is that it has six leads, one for each string so that individual strings can be balanced. Any help appreciated.

Brad

Frosty

Reaction score
Cool guitar, Brad!

A few thoughts... there are folks out there today making guitars similar to the Gibson CEs. You might try contacting Kirk Sand or Mel McCullough. Or post your question to the folks over on chetboard.com

Good luck!

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I will be posting to the Chetboard, just haven't gotten over there yet. The L.R. Baggs Hex pickup looks promising, I've emailed them to ask if it is compatible with the Shadow pickup in the Chet.
I actually know one of Kirk Sand's cousins, so if nothing else works, maybe I can tap into the "family" connection.
Thanks for all your help.

Brad

Frosty

Reaction score
While we are off topic, and speaking of amplified nylon string guitars... word is that someone has reverse engineered the old Prismatone pickup used by Baldwin. Hasn't been in production since 1968, I believe, and it was the pickup favored by and heard on recordings by Chet and Jerry Reed. Would not work on the CE, but interesting all the same!

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Frosty said:
While we are off topic, and speaking of amplified nylon string guitars... word is that someone has reverse engineered the old Prismatone pickup used by Baldwin. Hasn't been in production since 1968, I believe, and it was the pickup favored by and heard on recordings by Chet and Jerry Reed. Would not work on the CE, but interesting all the same!
Interesting, I thought that the original (1983) Chet Atkins CE had a Baldwin pickup from the time when Baldwin and Gibson were part of the same company. Of course, that doesn't mean it was the Prismatone.

Brad