Going with seperates? power amp+preamp

DMC

Reaction score
I have a Glockenklang 2x12 cabinet that i have bought with the idea of using seperate powr amp and preamp. mostly just to try it. also a nod to lesh. i have a old solidstate german mic pre that I'd liked to use maybe for the front end. not sure on what for to look for as far sas power amp. if i could lift one id try and find a mc2300. anything lighter that would sound similiar?

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
DMC said:
I have a Glockenklang 2x12 cabinet that i have bought with the idea of using seperate powr amp and preamp. mostly just to try it. also a nod to lesh. i have a old solidstate german mic pre that I'd liked to use maybe for the front end. not sure on what for to look for as far sas power amp. if i could lift one id try and find a mc2300. anything lighter that would sound similiar?

GLOCKENKLANG ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously ?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Gary; it's German Gear.

Hi DMC and welcome to you there in Whales Vagina. MC2300 ... are you talking about a McIntosh 2300 power amp? You have a microphone preamp and you're looking to match it to a power amp similar to a MC2300? ... for guitar or for audio/stereo? I don't have a suggestion but welcome to LTG and good luck in your search! CJ

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
DMC said:
Rack mounted separates became really popular in the 80s and 90s, especially with bass players. I would say that it all depends what kind of music you're playing, as well as the playing environment, i.e., home studio, small venues, larger halls. However, many makers seem to have abandoned the practice because it seems to go against the more popular amplifier aesthetic of "simplest is best." Which isn't to say that you shouldn't. I'm all for messing around with different setups.

If I recall, for preamps there were some decent offerings from Mesa Boogie, Digitech, Carvin, Peavey, ART, and Lexicon. Groove Tubes and Mesa Boogie still sell separates, and if I wanted to go this route, I would try to find some older models used, especially since they're made specifically for musical instrument applications. New stuff is pricey. Despite the cheesy 80s graphics, ART made excellent guitar and bass gear. I'd see if I could find an older tube unit without the digital effects processor front end. There was and still is a host of tube power amps for bass that may work well too. You may be able to build a cool inexpensive setup since many people, outside of pro guitar techs aren't really building rigs like this anymore.

Although not a separate, I'm still intrigued by a pre-Harman Lexicon tube head made specifically for recording guitar. Many use it for live play as well. It's called the Lexicon Signature 284. They're not so common, and still pull a decent price ($450-6060) on eBay. Read about it here.

If you have your sights set on an SAS power amp, I can't help you. Sorry. :oops: I don't have any experience with them. If you want clean even, dependable solid state power, there's always the tried and true QSC.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
welcome dmc.

glockenklang 2 x 12" double is what you are talking about? this is one state of the art small basscabinet good for every poweramp with correct output impedance and power.
so, you are talking about bi-amplifying what? bass, guitar?