Thunderbird type and schematics?

Reaction score
I rescued a Thunderbird amp from garbage death, just the amp, no case.
It has reverb and tremolo, the tubes are 6x 12AX7, 1x 6BM8 and 2x 7591.
Does anyone know the exact type, year (serial 4458), outputpower?
To let it work correctly I need schematics and printlay out.
Has anyone have this available?

Fritz
Arnhem, Holland

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Fritz and welcome to LTG! I have schematics for these two Guild Thunderbird amps:

Version 1: Tan tolex, metal bands on side panels, and beige and brown grillcloth.
Version 2: Black tolex, black tolex sides, and grey and black grillcloth.

Use the PM button at the bottom of my post and include your email address. I will send you both schematics; I don't have a layout drawing.

CJ

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Fritz; maybe these pics will help you identify which model you have:

Thunderbird: Version 1, 2X7591, 12" main and 8" reverb speaker, +/- 30 watts

v1tbird.jpg

v1tbirdback.jpg

ThunderBird: Version 2, 2X6L6, 50 watts, 1X6GW8 reverb, 4X7025 or 12AX7 + 7247 driver, 2X12" Jensen speaker

Guildtbirdrev2.jpg

SuperThunderbird Twin 8417s, 50 watts. (pic courtesy of BBer matsickma)

Guild_1967_SuperTBird_Amp.jpg

Pic of Fritz' Thunderbird; version unknown:

fritzbirdb.jpg

matsickma

Reaction score
That is the rear view of Thunderbird Version 1. The other view should show the vol and tone controls.

On Version 1 is a integrated chassis for bothe pre and powere amps. TBird Version 2 & 3 have a sepperate cassis for the preamp and the power amp. It looks like the foot switch is missing.

M

harpinator

Reaction score
Just broke out my old Thunderbird today (wood grain vinyl & 2-7591s) and cleaned it up. I got it a while back off ebay as a project. When I first got it, it just didn't play that loud, couldn't get the reverb to work. I put it aside and thought I would send it to a tech. Being a major procrastinator, it took many moons for me to look at it again. I have a few amps as my GAS is not restricted to guitars alone. Well I cleaned it, then decided to inspect the wiring before calling the amp tech. The speaker wires were pretty thin at the connection, so I stripped them and re-attached. For the reverb 8", one of the wires had come loose from a terminal. I soldered that back, then turned it on. Lights went on, all the tubes started glowing. I grabbed my 1958 M65 and plugged it in. To my delight, my Thunderbird sang like I had never heard it before. The M65 had wonderful tone through it, and loud. The reverb sounded great, the tremelo functioned perfectly. Now I just needed to try my harp through it with a green bullet mike. Oh yes, sweet blues heaven. This is one killer harp amp too. Overall, a very good day indeed. Some other guitars I tried sounded good through it as well. I do believe those Franz pickups really shine on the Thunderbird though. :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Harpinator; congratulations on firing up your Thunderbird! If the 8" speaker was not connected, you're lucky you didn't burn up the reverb OT when doing you startup/test/check out - output transformers won't last long when there's voltage on the primary side but nothing connected to the speaker/secondary side. Got pics? CJ

harpinator

Reaction score
I have the Version 1 posted earlier. Its almost a duplicate except I'm missing the upper rear panel. I'll have my tech take some pictures as he tears into it.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks; look forward to them. J