Opportunity to Trade my Marshall for a California Blonde amp

cjd-player

Reaction score
I never did a direct A/B comparison of those two, but when I was shopping a couple of years ago, I was not impressed with the California Blondes that I tried.

I thought Graham's Marshall sounded very, very nice at Guildstock last year.

Like any amp, I would encourage you to try before you buy.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi Carl,
I've tried it out. It belongs to Ross the Magic Luthier and he uses it in his shop as his acoustic amp. He's looking for something smaller; 100W is a bit overwhelming and he'd like to be able to stack. I thought the CB sounded pretty sweet, but it is 20 lbs heavier and its configuration will not fit my acoustic stand. I do like the Marshall for several reasons; just curious, I guess...

gilded

Reaction score
Will the magic luth' let you take it to a gig and A/B it with your Marshall? Let your adoring fans decide.........

Reaction score
I don't care for high wattage amps. From my experience, about 70 of those watts would be unnecessary. But I don't do solid state, and as I understand it, the wattage in a solid state isn't as loud as the wattage from tubes. My reference point is the Tube Amp Handbook.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Howdy, Ken.

I've played through a buddy's CA Blond a few times at outdoor venues and in a band situation where my acoustic axe would just be drowned out otherwise. It's great if you do need that 100 watts, but otherwise it might overcook any nearby enchiladas. Of course, one can always turn it down. It's also none too light compared to your Marshall. If I had to choose between only one I'd go with the CA Blond, but if I knew I was never gonna play anything but coffee lounges and living rooms.... your Marshall AS-50R is very tough to beat.

Onward!

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Good feedback one and all. For my humble needs, the Marshall will stay in the Scratch House. Thanks!!