Pilot 902 control layout query

davidv

Reaction score
Hello All
As usual I only come back when I have added to the collection and need to know something.

Having joined a band playing bass, after 30 years off!., my interests in bass (buying) have come back. having bought my fantasy bass a Ric 4003 to celebrate, I now find it is too heavy for long term use, what with my dodgy shoulder and all.
Suddenly I get the chance to get my hands on a really nice 902 with Bartollinis and MOP inlays in a flamey maple orange etc.
Serial number JE000136 for the interested. (£420 for the naturally curious). Looks like a good deal as the condition is very good/unused but needing some cleaning, pots spraying, strings, intonation, bridge adjustments all round, oil on rust. Boy what a fun day I had, its so much nicer when there is stuff to do!

However the 4 knob tone volume knob layout has me a bit puzzled as I am not sure quite what each does, an issue not helped as when I took the battery cover off the control void is packed with lots of stuff my 3 knob SB602 does not have (not even room for a battery clip) I guess this must fancy Bartolini EQ controls.

So Hans what do the knobs do?

Best Wishes
David

Squawk

Reaction score
The 902 is a great bass. When I got mine a few years back, I asked Hans about the layout - here's his response verbatim:

Wiring can be a little funny with Guilds (meaning inconsistent) but on
the ones I've seen it was as follows:
1) Master Volume
2) Balance pot to adjust the mix between P and J-style pickup
3) Master treble control
4) Master bass control

I wouldn't be surprised if it was slightly different though. Not so
much the function of the knobs but the order in which they're wired on
the bass.
It should be pretty easy to figure that out.

davidv

Reaction score
Still a bit of a mystery.

This 902 seems to have a volume for each pickup (no master vol.)

Treble and bass maybe the others???

1 of the tone pots has a black adjuster on the back, presumably linked to the Bartolini TBT unit, turn with a small screwdriver, which seems to custom alter the bass/treble boost.

Not clear yet,

D

davidv

Reaction score
Got this sorted. 2 x volume and 1 bass boost and 1 treble boost

The Guild Pilot SB902 has the bartolimi TCT pre amp which has bass and treble boost. but it is not fitted with the optional mct-500 mid boost unit offered by Bartolini.

The small trim pot located in the cavaity is the mid control unit , but it only offers mid cut.

See Bartolini web site for TCT unit and look at wiring diagram option 4. ( they show a stacked treble, bass pot but ignore this as it is the pilot layout but the pilot has separate bass and treble knobs). This is the only schematic with the trim pot seen in the picyure above.

I have heard that some pilots were fitted with TBT units but if yours has yellow white blue green red and brown wires it is a TCT.