It's a clean machine!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
OK. I cleaned the amp. The Murphy Oil Soap seems to work really well, as it gets the dirt and leaves kind of a nice light sheen (there is a little vegetable oil in the soap). Vinyl is like new.

no brown stuff...
clean_66J.jpg

Somewhat better control panel...
clean_66j3.jpg

I found that rubbing the rust only caused the rust particles to loosen and scratch the chrome a bit. I think I'll just live with what surface rust exists. It's old, after all.

Dave

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Looks good! If you want, you can just copy your post over into the other thread and post here that you want one of the Moderators to delete this thread. Pretty spiffy! Can you post a pic of the electronics side of the chassis? J

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Looks good! If you want, you can just copy your post over into the other thread and post here that you want one of the Moderators to delete this thread. Pretty spiffy! Can you post a pic of the electronics side of the chassis? J

John, I was afraid to get into the electronics, aside from pulling the chassis to clean the panel. It still looks like this (But I dusted off the speaker!):

both.jpg

Bill,

I found that one of the feet was worn to the point where the screw inside was scratching the floor. I ended up making one from a #2 rubber stopper. Just cut the fat end of the stopper to length, drill a small hole for the screw and countersink a larger hole for the washer. It's pretty close, in my opinion. Here's a side-by-side:

defeet.jpg

Total cost: $1.04 and about 30 minutes of my time.

Dave

john_kidder

Reaction score
The chassis looks as if that amp has never been exposed even to household air, let alone the rigours of the road. Beautiful and clean.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Amazingly clean ... no scorching, no stains ... no nothing.

If you get to looking for other ways to clean it up some more, you might try some Flitz Metal polish on the aluminum tube covers; push down and turn .. takes a while .... but .... glamour shot of my by-gone Gibson GA19RVT ... yes, Orange Drops:

GA1907chassis-1.jpg

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Amazingly clean ... no scorching, no stains ... no nothing.

If you get to looking for other ways to clean it up some more, you might try some Flitz Metal polish on the aluminum tube covers; push down and turn .. takes a while .... but .... glamour shot of my by-gone Gibson GA19RVT ... yes, Orange Drops:

GA1907chassis-1.jpg

Yeah, I was kind of gazing at those covers this afternoon and thinking about how good they'd look if shiny.

Gotta love that tweed.

Dave

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
At least you have a good Weber speaker in there, same as my 66-J.

I presume you know that Ted Weber has passed away? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Very sad, he was a great guy. I think, however, that the heavens will
be just a little bit louder now...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
.. Gotta love that tweed.
It's a sheet of clear vinyl with patterned cotton backing laminated to it. Unfortunately, the water-based tolex reacted with mold spores in the cotton produced the orange-brown stains common on nearly all the Gibson '59-'62 tweeds ... very few with no stains at all.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
At least you have a good Weber speaker in there, same as my 66-J. I presume you know that Ted Weber has passed away? Very sad, he was a great guy. I think, however, that the heavens will be just a little bit louder now...
Hi Bill; the GA19RVT had JJs in it when the pic was taken. At one time or another, I had Brimars, Bendix 5992s, and thanks to the President of the NZ LTG Chapter (south island), a pair of RCA blackplate Radiotrons in it. Yes; if I buy new, I buy Webers and I heard about his passing. Fine person, completely committed excellence, and his company made/sold stuff as good as could be found. I bungled getting the correct bell-ends for a transformer for one of Coastie's projects. Told the Webers about what happened and they shipped the correct ones to Coastie on their nickle. Doesn't get any better than that.

BluesDan

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
dapmdave said:
It's a sheet of clear vinyl with patterned cotton backing laminated to it. Unfortunately, the water-based tolex reacted with mold spores in the cotton produced the orange-brown stains common on nearly all the Gibson '59-'62 tweeds ... very few with no stains at all.

True.....but this one is pretty darn clean...... :wink:
P1010026.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

Now Dave has got me lusting for a Guild amp! 8)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
BluesDan said:
capnjuan said:
... very few with no stains at all.
... but this one is pretty darn clean.
Hi Dan; yes, one of the few mold survivors. Every time you post a pic of it, I get this certain feeling .................
brick.gif
:( :wink: Hard to believe it's coming up on its 50th birthday! John

BluesDan

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
BluesDan said:
capnjuan said:
... very few with no stains at all.
... but this one is pretty darn clean.
Hi Dan; yes, one of the few mold survivors. Every time you post a pic of it, I get this certain feeling .................
brick.gif
:( :wink: Hard to believe it's coming up on its 50th birthday! John

sorry Cap! Just couldnt resist the urge to show it off again! 8) :wink:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
BluesDan said:
capnjuan said:
dapmdave said:

True.....but this one is pretty darn clean...... :wink:
P1010026.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

Now Dave has got me lusting for a Guild amp! 8)

And I'm lusting after a green Blues 90! That is cool. And I just noticed the other one (blue?) behind.

Dave

BluesDan

Reaction score
dapmdave said:
And I'm lusting after a green Blues 90! That is cool. And I just noticed the other one (blue?) behind.Dave

I wish Guild had made a Blue Blues 90!! That's a Gibson Blues Hawk in Chicago Blue. Not true P90's as they have a hum cancelling dummy coil. Very versatile guitar though with a broad range of tones available from the three way selector switch and 6 way Varitone switch. Not for everyones taste as evidenced by the going prices of the BluesHawks(they are relatively very inexpensive), but I love it. And supposedly BB King enjoyed his "Little Lucille" so it can't be that bad! :wink: