Another 66J

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dave; this one has gone around a few times before from the same seller. This sort of fumbling doesn't help: "Ya couldn’t ask for a better set o’ tubes. One of the Raytheon 6v6 has some cracks in the base, so although it still sounds perfect, I’ll offer the winner a different pair of great 6v6." Well ... I could ask for a better set of tubes ... I like mine without cracks in the base but that might just be me being picky.

Lurching forward: "Sports original '61 (code=220140) Jensen C12S that has been reconed (I blew the orig. cone!) to handle 40 watts like a C12N, so it should be unblowable in this amp. .... (Note that although the speaker has an Jensen Alnico speaker sticker, it is a ceramic that was mislabeled at the factory)." Not questioning whether it's a '61 but question whether it's original to the amp. Some were originally fitted with P12R/alnicos and some with C12R/ceramics but I don't recall seeing any 66Js were fitted with C12S/ceramics; lighter magnet and smaller voice coil than 'R' model Jensens ... not enough power handling for the amp. Finally the magnet type 'P' or 'C' isn't a matter of a sticker, it's painted on the rim just like the 6-digit EIA code but no pic of the rim or whatever 'sticker' he's talking about.

Depending on how they're oriented in your amp, sometimes you can read the EIA code stamped into the casing of the pots in your amp; Link Here to page with instructions for interpreting pot codes. Without a catalog, as good a method as there is for dating gear as is available; at least it provides a not-earlier-than date. Now that you mention it, nearly ever one of these to come and go on eBay is a '61 ... yours too, no? :wink: J

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The description is pretty lurid, isn't it? That would throw me off, even if nothing else seemed odd.

Regarding the '61 issue: The guy who sold mine to me said it was a '61 just because that was all he could find on the web. He actually copied the description from the "ggjaguar" site and pasted into a CL ad. Speaker code is probably '63, but I don't know if it's original.

Any idea how many of these were made or may still exist? There's very little info out there.

BTW, I shined up those aluminum tube covers. Looking good!

Dave

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
... Any idea how many of these were made or may still exist? There's very little info out there. BTW, I shined up those aluminum tube covers. Looking good!
Well ... you said it; there's very little information out there. The pot codes will be the best bet for dating yours. Yes; the tube covers add a little bling. They will still get a thin layer of surface corrosion but now that you have them cleaned down to bare metal, it takes very little time to get them back nice 'n purty ... J

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Does the final price for this 66J reflect a fair market value?
Can you tell me a little about this amp as far as the sound and power?

Thanks!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
Does the final price for this 66J reflect a fair market value? Can you tell me a little about this amp as far as the sound and power?
Hi BP: on eBay, these amps generally run $450-$600. Most vintage twin 6V6 amps are rated at 15 watts regardless of manufacturer ... it's a limitation of the 6V6. Can't tell you about tone but several other members can. CJ

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks captain!
I know one for sale in my neck of the wood but I'd like to hear from those who know about the sound before hitting the 2 hours drive....

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dave, it was a pleasure meeting you and I think I am going to love this little piece of vintage equipment and it's warm sound straight from the 60's....
Plus, it is in such a beautiful condition, it's a pleasure to just watch it! :shock:
I have to admit his trip to Rockledge was worth it, coming back with a Martin and a Guild amp!!!
Thanks also for introducing me to your little Guild family.... Gorgeous guitars! :mrgreen:

Yamaha FG175SII (1984)
Guild D25BR (1972)
Gibson Dove (1984)
Martin SWGDT (2003)
Fender Start+ (1994)
Fender Prosonic (1994)
Guild 66j (1961)

bunuel

Reaction score
Wish I'd seen the auction, I'd have snapped at it. Been looking for a decent 66-J for a lots of years without luck. Seems like not many were made.
A fella we used to play with had one & it was quite like a tweed, real snarler, with a very distinctively cool tremelo. Hard amp to forget. I think everyone that played with him tried talking him into selling that amp, but when he moved, it was the ONLY amp he took with him.
His 66-J, too, didn't have a guild logo plate & there was no signs that it ever did--no screw holes, no glue residue, nothing. Only sign that it was a guild was the guild sticker inside it. He insisted it never did have logo plate--his older brother bought it new in the early '60s & gave it to him. Guess that happened with some of the old amps in the days of yore. Cheers, all.