Gibson-Standel Amp SG-410...its here, finally..

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Over a year ago I bought this took me months to pay for it, but the guy is really cool...he drove 3hours out of his way, from a gig, and the gig was half a days drive from his home....so I saved a lot of mileage by meeting him half way.....The good......looks beautiful, has and interesting "Notch Shift" that apparently emulates the "Fender" sound, or many other sounds. You can play with it and along with reverb and the Phase shift to emulate a rotating speaker, its just very cool......the transformers, heavy case and 4 10 inch speakers are ideal.....for a hernia.. I put it into storage for now because I didn't want to leave it in my little Motorhome, and I live on the 2nd floor with no elevator.......here are the pics,.. what do you think the value of this thing is,,,very rare, and similar I think to the one BB King uses......This is 100 big watts.. and about 4' by 4'
By the way, It was a gorgeous trip thru the mountains, of B.C. and my little Toyota got 22 mpg...Thats 18 mpg, u.s. gallons, not bad for a little motor pushing a two ton 'cabin' :D :lol: Steffan

here is a clip from Harmony Central reviews
A hybrid solid-state and tube power amp (rated at 100W) combo, made in 1973 and purchased new in 1976. Designed by Bob Crooks, founder of Standel amps in the '50s, for CMI Electronics (who owned Gibson at one time and later became Norlin Music) after he sold Standel to CMI. Two channels, one clean and one effects channel with two inputs each (Hi and Lo impedance). Channel two includes a Maestro Phase Shifter with 3 speeds, reverb, "wave form" distortion, and a "Notch Shift" feature that simulates an equalizer with 4 pre-sets (all effects controllable via an optional footswitch that I do not have). Both channels include separate volume, bass and treble controls. The effects channel adds a Midrange tone control and an Accent control, the latter acting somewhat like an attack or presence control. A master volume knob controls both channels.

Customer Support : No Opinion
Gibson may still be able to provide schematics for these products since they inherited the CMI line. But these amps have been out of production for half a generation now.

Overall Rating : 9
I'm a 40 year "noodler" with other amps including a solid-state Fender Stage 100 running into two DT-412 cabinets. I had retired this lump years ago, but decided to try and have it repaired in preparation for selling it. The more I researched its history while trying to locate parts, the more I liked what I found. So now that it's working, I'm postponing any sale and enjoying it once again. The biggest downside to this unit is its weight, so it doesn't leave the house often. The look is unique and the construction is solid. But this amp is not something I would look to purchase because there are so many options to choose from these days. It's a terrific piece of history, though.

Features : 6
SG-410 By CMI electronics. 4x10" 'custom voiced' speakers... Master Volume with 2 channels (not switchable) 1 for clean(?) one for the other effects (waveform control, reverb - 1/4" footswitchable, built in Maestro Phasor, Power Amp input (to use as a powered speaker cab), Special Footswitch for the Phasor w/proprietary plug (I don't have it). 2 power tubes (mine came with KT-100's in it, currently running 6550's - see other reviews for mention of the other industrial numbered tubes that were OE). Solid State Pre, one tube (I think, for reverb driving). The reverb and the phasor sound sweet. Lot's of power and volume in this puppy. Built on casters. A little unmanageable, but weighs about the same as other same-era 4x10 combos I think.

100_1860.jpg

100_1866.jpg

100_1865.jpg

100_1863.jpg

100_1864.jpg

100_1862.jpg

100_1861.jpg

100_1859.jpg

100_1858.jpg

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's a cool looking amp. What's it sound like?

Dave

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Wow Steffan ... atza might big rig! One of the HC review models indicated 8417s and text of the review you included indicates 6550s ... what does yours run on? Did it come with a Roadie? :wink: Congratulations!

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi CJ. Yep, she is a monster amp....way too much for me. Good thing I took the little motorhome, not sure it would have easily fit in my old tercel, even with the front seat removed..the cars were so much bigger in 73, and we were so much younger then, we're older than that now. I think they might be 8417s, haven't looked, and don't want to touch them. I actually haven't heard it yet, (might be too easy to fall in love with) not sure I will, there is a recording studio that may be interested in it for that authentic vintage sound, supposed to be very clear, and warm, with a lot of variation, with the frequency shift thing...It actually mentions in the users manual which setting, to get the 'Fender' sound...
Captn, what do you figure this thing is worth? Its pretty close to mint, even the power cord still looks new. Steffan :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Steffan; PM sent. I looked in several places for a schematic ... didn't find anything; any chance you have a lead on one?

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
CJ, I believe Gibson still has the schematics for this and other Standel/Gibson amps as well. I've decided to let this one go, I think......Its just too big, and heavy for me, on this life stage. But the 'cool' factor, is off the charts on this one.....it just 'belongs' wherever it sits. If it were 25% of that size and weight, well.... :lol: Steffan

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I can related to 'belongs wherever it sits..' ... I mentioned that I once had an early 80s Fender 75 - it weighed 75 pounds ... one pound per watt ... I could hardly move it ... Besides, my days of knocking out windows at 100 yards with sound waves is just about over ... hope it works out for the best. John

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The cabinet is sawdust and glue, like my Estey T-32. My amp is the most ridiculously heavy 8 watts I've ever seen, all due to the particleboard cab. I can only imagine what wrestling that thing around would do to your back. :?