Lemme tell y'all about bluegrass...

Qvart

Reaction score
Even though I grew up in Appalachia I've never been a big blugrass fan, but the bands I'm watching right now are great. And I bet some of you would agree. Google "Mountain Song Festival," "Steep Canyon Rangers," "Seldom Seen," and yes - Steve Martin - to get a taste of what's on stage in front of me right now. Enjoy.

Qvart

Reaction score
Dr. Spivey said:
So did you win the Martin?

Won't know about the Martin until 7:30 EDT. Eight of us in the running.

As for Steelpickin' - I'd believe it. Dude rips!

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Qvart said:
Even though I grew up in Appalachia I've never been a big blugrass fan, but the bands I'm watching right now are great. And I bet some of you would agree. Google "Mountain Song Festival," "Steep Canyon Rangers," "Seldom Seen," and yes - Steve Martin - to get a taste of what's on stage in front of me right now. Enjoy.
You mean "Seldom Scene"?

Qvart

Reaction score
MandoSquirrel said:
Qvart said:
You mean "Seldom Scene"?

Yes - a typo. Such are the pitfalls of mobile LTG-ing. ;)

They're on stage now as a matter of fact.

Qvart

Reaction score
MandoSquirrel said:
David Grisman tonight; sounds like a good time.

Yep. David Grisman around 8:00, Seldom Scene on stage now, and in between a second dose of Steep Canyon Rangers, with Steve Martin on banjo for the second go-'round.

I gotta say it was a good day.

Qvart

Reaction score
Graham said:
Lookin' at the website, Steve Martin on now with Steep Canyon....?

Looks like a very kewl festival! 8)

Yep, Steep Canyon with Steve Martin just finished up. What a nut. ;)

I took some video with my camera but it's not the best for that. Very unsteady when I zoom in. If the audio is okay I'll upload it later tonight. Until then, the phone battery is just about done...

Qvart

Reaction score
southernGuild said:
ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY..THATS what its all about. Glad you are there having fun mate. thanks for sharing! Southern :wink:

Well, it took about five hours but.......Guild sighting - BB! ;)

Qvart

Reaction score
Dr. Spivey said:
So did you win the Martin?

No such luck. Oh well. Beautiful day. Great music. Can't complain!

Only one electric guitar made an appearance on stage, and it was a Guild:

Shannon Whitworth & the Refugees:

ShannonWhitworththeRefugees.jpg

The venue:

BrevardMusicCenter1.jpg

BrevardMusicCenter2.jpg

Seldom Scene:

SeldomScene.jpg

Steep Canyon Rangers with Steve Martin:

SteepCanyonRangerswithSteveMartin.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Q: back about when you were a twinkle in your parents' eyes and before his SNL days, Steve Martin was on the evening shows with his banjo and arrow through his head; he hasn't changed much ... a very funny guy who could really play the banjo. John Duffy, originally with the Country Gentlemen, organized the Seldom Scene. Despite appearances, the Washington DC area has long been a hot bed of bluegrass music; in the late 50s/early 60s, the Country Gentlemen were playing at the Shamrock on M Street in Georgetown ... before M Street became M Street ... (yes, that white thing showing is my AARP card :wink: ) and for years, one of the most popular drive time radio shows was bluegrass from WAMU; American University's radio station. The CGs and the Seldom Scene recorded for Rebel Records. Despite its politically incorrect name, RR has a very rich and deep catalog. If you're interested in bluegrass vinyl or CDs, that's the place to look. John

Qvart

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
If you're interested in bluegrass vinyl or CDs, that's the place to look. John

Well, I don't see myself getting into bluegrass too much, but I'll check out the links.

Anybody know The Hocking Valley Boys? I did some searches but didn't find much information. I remember their records on the shelf when I was growing up. I'm pretty sure my mom said they were relatives of hers (cousins or something).

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Qvart said:
... Well, I don't see myself getting into bluegrass too much ...
Well ... if you don't grow up with it (and I didn't), it's an acquired taste .... :wink: One for the road: The Gents singing 'Fox On The Run' Banjo player is Eddie Adcock, the pride of Scottsville VA. J

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
First time I saw Steve Martin was in the 60's on the sitcom The Jerry Van Dyke Show (you know, the guy from My Mother The Car :lol: )

Anyway, Steve Martin played a guy who was grappling with whether he should become a priest or a stand-up comic. Of course they all went to the club and watched him do his stand-up routine, which included some banjo music and the arrow through the head already back then. I don't remember what happened after that but I sure remembered Steve Martin :D

Some of you must have seen him on the final episode of American Idol last year with that Bluegrass band? They did a song Steve wrote, and it was great!