B-30 -- What size group can you support?

Reaction score
Hello, all:

I'm a new forum member with a B-30 Bass. It's a 1987 in pretty much "unplayed" condition.

Some time back I had a fellow Bassplayer use both his B-30 and my Tacoma Thunderchief unamplified, while I listened from 20ft away. The B-30 was the clear winner in terms of acoustic volume. Later, I came across the one I have now, though I haven't used it much.

I'm really an Upright Bass player, but do want frets when I'm doing a lot of lead singing.

My question to the B-30 & B-50 owners:
What size or type of group can you support playing unamplified? My guess is about 2 or 3 stringed instruments and no microphones, drums, or amps anywhere. Maybe playing with a PA if your sound hole is mic'd.

Amplified, there's probably an upper limit too. I'd be interested in hearing your experience.

Thanks....Lyle

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG.

You want to wait until Smithfield Fair or Grot respond. They are both big fans of the B-50 but have done some a/b comparisons.

My sense is that the Guild acoustic basses are ranked B-50, B-30 and B-4 in order of loudness with the difference between the 50 and 30 being greater than that between 30 and the 4. My experience with the B-4 is that I can hold my own against a single Guild D-25 (which definitely puts out a lot of sound) but not much more. If I am next to the D-25 I can't hear myself all that well although the audience assures me that they can hear me. (We're still debating whether that is a good thing or not). If anybody is amplified, even the built in amp on some keyboards, then I give up and plug in.

I've never been in a situation where an amplified B-4 has been too loud but if I am expecting drums and amplified instruments I'm much more likely to have the Starfire than the B-4. Also, FWIW, the B-4 has a Fishman PU built in so I have no experience using a mic with it.

All that and I don't really answer the question, do I? :wink:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
You want to wait until Smithfield Fair or Grot respond.
Well Smithfield Fair probably plays out with his a lot more then I do. So he should have a beter answer. (Though I don't know if he plays pure acoustic.)

I've really only played my B-50 with two other guitars and since I'm behind the bass, I have no idea how loud it is.

Playing with a pick does help with the volume though.

Here's a clip of me playing the B-50 solo with some very old strings and recorded on a cheap "still" digital camera.

My bass has no electronics so I don't how they sound with a pick-up.