another youtube clip

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I guess the guy who posted this on youtube likes my X175 - or my playing - or both, ha! It's an old Del Reeves tune called "This must be the bottom" we've been playing for years - and one of the tunes in the set where I get to stretch out a little,and our sax player picks up his Dano six string bass and plays some Harold Bradley style Tic-Tac bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFDyPPbmtq0

I guess I should listen to my mom more - she always tells me I should smile a little more on stage, and I should lose some weight... :|

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
One of my favorite songs from "Flavor Saver" and one that I sing a lot at work.

Along with "Boat". 8)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Walter - I love watching your band play, keep those videos coming! I admit your X175 is a beauty, but the way you play it is what makes it sound so good, I love it!

walrus

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
As well as the popular "what's that smell". :lol:

bbking.JPG

dklsplace

Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
I guess I should listen to my mom more - she always tells me I should smile a little more on stage, and I should lose some weight... :|

Taking lessons from Lorne Green? :mrgreen:

jmac

Reaction score
WB,

I love it! Great sound. What are you playing through. (I want details)!

Also, good video quality.

Really awesome, thanks for sharing...you've given me something to shoot for...a really cool performance vid that'll make every envious. (I'm envious)

Jake

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch guys, I really appreciate it!

Jake - the video's are not mine - I have no idea who shot the first one, and the second and third ones were apparently shot by a small local TV station over there (they're from last saturday), I didn't even realise during the show someone was shooting video... :oops:

You want details on my rig...you asked for it....!

-The guitar is my favorite guitar, the first Guild I got, a 1962 X175 Manhattan that's stock except for a refret with medium jumbo's, I potted the pickups, eventually had to replace both volume pots, and I put the Tune-a-matic bridge and Bigsby on it. (that's a vintage Guild Bigsby I put the Chet Atkins arm on)

-The amp is a 2005 Headstrong "Blue Lamp". I got a good deal on it second hand, a smoking deal actually, couldn't have afforded it new. It's a handwired, fairly close copy of a late 50's Fender 3X10 Bandmaster. (the "5E7" circuit)
I did have it modified a little bit : the thing about those amps is that they have a fairly small output transformer to begin with, and it's a mismatch with the speaker load.
The stock transformer (on the originals as well as the Headstrong clone...) is a 4 ohm unit, and the speaker load of three 8 ohm speakers in parallel is 2.7 ohms.
In it's stock configuration, it's a great sounding amp, but plain not loud (or clean) enough for my purposes, it got too distorted at the levels we play at.
As luck would have it, I had a late 60's Fender Super Reverb output transformer in my parts box, twice the steel (=twice the ooomph!!), and a better match at 2 ohms.

Also, I replaced one of the stock Weber 10A125's with a Celestion Vintage 10 speaker (louder and more agressive), and that did the trick - it's perfect right now, for me.
I have JAN Philips 6L6 tubes in the amp, a funky NOS Russian rectifier tube my tech tells me falls somewhere between a 5U4 and a 5AR4, a Philips 5751 tube in V1, and RCA 12AX7's in the other preamp tube slots.

My usual tube/spring outboard reverb unit is in the shop for a small repair and a couple of mods, so I'm using a brand new Boss digital reverb pedal in those clips. (the one that simulates a Fender outboard tank, it only just came out, and is OK for the money)

Sorry for the long post, as you can tell I'm fairly anal about my gear, and you asked for details..ahem..

jmac

Reaction score
WB,

Thanks for the details. It wasn't too long a post. Its what I wanted. I really like your sound. I'd like to get a closer to that sound myself. After reading many posts on amps, I'm going to put a different speaker in my fender princeton. In general I like the amp, but a better speaker is an easy way to improve my sound.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. I really (REALLY) like your sound

Jake