Unicord "Magna Combo" solid state amplifier (info needed)

Reaction score
hi all!

well i found this guy on craigslist and snatched it up for $100

quite unlike anything i have ever seen, and everything works!

from what i can gather, the head unit acts as a SS pre-amp only (5 watts), and it feeds into the cabinet which has the SS power section (250 watts).

this thing sounds fantastic for a SS amp

ANY HELP ON INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED :)

the head unit serial # is MCP 297

the cab serial # is UCS 225

2 15" Eminence alnico speakers code #: 67 7112
3 Heppner (i think alnico) horns code #: 575005

i just have to wire it so i can bypass the power amp in the cabinet so i can run the speakers with my valve jr

the black and yellow wires feed into an RCA jack which plugs into the power amp section-so it should be a breeze

here are some photos:

001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

thanks!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Calling Doctor Howard, Doctor Fine, Cap'n Juan...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi jiggaj; you've come a long way since your wall-hanging DeA R5. I didn't find much more than you did about this amp or Unicord ... some interesting links: Univox/Unicord, Hagstrom, and Korg (this last link previously posted by GoG?) The 'British Invasion' of the mid-'60s was followed by the 'Japanese Invasion' of the late-'60s/early-'70s ... lots of competitively-priced transistor amps; I think this is one of them.

Since there isn't much in print about them I guess you could say it's because people who owned them wanted to keep quiet about them, you know, keep them a secret ... I mean, you could say that. I see that the yellow/black wires are feeding the speakers and you say they are connected to the speaker input jack ... but in the pics, yellow/black look like they are the secondaries of that transformer sitting there?

Transistors are low-impedance devices and, except for the legendary McIntosh Company's "Unity Coupled" amps that tied their output transistors to the speakers with autotransformers, transformers weren't/aren't commonly used in transistor designs; I guess I don't understand what the transformer is doing there. Further, if the yellow/black are the speaker supply, then how does the transistor output get to the speakers if the yellow/black are tied to the speaker input jack? Do the yellow/black make a stop first under that circuit board and pick up the transformer output?

In the links above, there's mention of Unicord as a designer and manufacturer of transformers and it's true that output transformers will protect the speakers in the event of a short in the output transistors; maybe Unicord was 'creating' a need for its own transformers in its own amps ... who knows ... good luck with it! CJ