Metal Saddle Talk

PeteyBass

Reaction score
I've been tearing my hair out working with my CNC guy, but I have finally produced my first machined replica of a harp bridge rosewood saddle. The first batch (very small numbers) are machined aircraft grade aluminum. For what its worth, in the prototype process I found the sound was a little more appealing than brass. Brighter, yet not as harsh, they will also be less expensive (I’m still working on the costs).

Where I found the biggest impact in sound was with my 73 JS and 74 M-85, with 70's Guild Humbuckers. The aluminum saddles brighten the sound noticeably. I also found an increase in brightness in my neck position Bi-Sonic on my 67 Starfire. That's compared to a 66-bridge position Starfire, where replacing the saddles from the plastic ones seemed to increase sustain, but only change the sound slightly. All my basses have DR round wounds and I have yet to try them with flats.

I would like to get some feedback from you guys in the group.

I have three sets that I will make available to the group for a little more than half the price as the current auction on the bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1182

If you're not happy I'll gladly take them back. This is the only time I can make this offer, and it's only for registered members of the group. Please email me through peteybass.

Clearly they will either live in sonic infamy, or die by group’s hopefully polite comments. No matter whether you love them or like just like them, they will never split, or crack and last the life of your bass.

Thanks guys.
Peteybass

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Email sent although if you can get feedback from mgod or someone with better chops than me, you probably should :)

Nice to see you posting again. Any comments on your '75 M-85? :wink:

bassmyf

Reaction score
Hey Petey,

I`d like to give them a shot. I have 2 67 Starfires, both of which I use TI flats on. Coming up on a string change, so it would be a good time to check them out. PM me with your price and paypal info.

Jeff

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
I tried out the set Petey was kind enough to send along. Put them on my Darkstarred JS-II.

They did make a difference. I found the sound was brighter. A slightly different overall tone. Which I liked.

But I felt it lost too much of that acoustic "poing" so I'll stick with the redwood saddles. I use the JS-II in tandem with a naturally brighter bass so I like to have the contrast.

I'll be sending the metal saddles on to another LTG member who I hope will pipe in with his thoughts.

MARICOPAA

Reaction score
Hey Petey,

I'm interested in trying out a set of brass saddles. The 1969 Guild Starfire II I am selling (see FS/FT) has brass or copper saddles that sound fantastic to me. They appear to crafted out of round brass or copper stock (about 1/4", maybe a little larger, that has been flattened on on side and then slotted for the intonation paddles.

The really are articulate but not 'metal' sounding. Not harsh, too bright or anything like that. I actually thought for a short time they were some kind of hardwood as they have a discoloration that makes a faux grain...that discoloration is of course the oxidation and creates a patina. I suppose they could be copper (patina?) as the oxidation has a bluish cast but have know way of testing. The bass plays and sounds so good I really don't want to take one off.

I'm wondering if you still have the set of brass saddles you constructed and found you were not happy with and/or a set of copper saddles to try?

regards,

maricopaa

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I finally gave a set of these aluminum saddles a try. Can't say I really like them. I found them a little thin. It might make sense for me to try them on a Hagstrom Coronado. They might make a little more sonic sense on a solid body. But my thought is I'd be more interested in brass. I have a very old set of brass saddles on my main SF-II. Those I like a lot.

DS