:shock: :shock: :shock:
newshavingtechnicce2.jpg

You can always get one of these:
beard.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

gilded

Reaction score
Jerry,

My wife and I honeymooned in England in '89. When we were in London, we saw 'Allo 'Allo on the stage, at the Palladium. It was wonderful!

A few days later, we were in some itsy-bitsy, gingerbread house of a bed and breakfast in Kent. One of the other guests was from England. He was rather sarcastic with us at first. At one point he enquired of me, 'Well, my good fellow, you've no doubt been to see a 'Show' in London. What did you see? Was it 'Cats', pray tell?' [Cats was a big show in '89]

When I told him that we'd been to see 'Allo 'Allo, the ice melted.

'Did you like it?'

'Oh, yes. We've been fans of the TV show for a long time.'

'You have?'

I went on to tell him about all of the British Comedies that show up on American TV channels; The Fall (and Rise) of Reginald Perrin, Are You Being Served?, Open All Night. We spent a lot of time talking about 'Allo 'Allo. He had tears of joy in his eyes as he imitated the British Agent who played the French Gendarme. It was all good fun.

Look forward to hearing about your show when you have more time.

Regards, Harry

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
gilded said:
Open All Night.

Harry - do you mean 'Open all Hours' with Ronnie Barker (a brilliant character actor and comedian, sadly now dead) and a young David Jason (another brillaint character actor and comedian) who later went on to play 'Del Boy' in th elong running comedy series 'Only Fools and Horses' - don't know if that ever made it over the pond :?:

gilded said:
Look forward to hearing about your show when you have more time.

Regards, Harry

The show show only ran 4 nights with a paying audience (last night tonight), although we had an invited audience of about 50 at the dress rehearsal. The theatre is small (capacity 101) and was sold out weeks ago with waiting lists. We could only book a 5 night slot in their program though, and the dress rehearsal had to be there on one of those nights. Each audience is different - Friday was quiter but obviously liked it and the laughs kept coming - where Thursday's audience laughed soo much in the first half I think they were laughed out in the second half. If you saw the West End show you must have see the original TV cast - the play was written by the same scriptwriters. Our 'René' is a brilliant character actor and really holds the show together, and I would say all the rest of the cast are pretty good (though I can't speak for myself). It is the same pool of actors at 'AdHoc' http://www.adhoc-theatre.co.uk/ that make up the casts for the Summer productions at Hazelbury Manor for 'Shakespeare Live' http://www.shakespearelive.com/. Next year I will probably only audition for Shakespeare Live as AdHoc interferes with my nights at the Folk Clubs - doing my other 'performing'.

gilded

Reaction score
Open All Hours, it was!

What appeals to you more about music performance
over acting? Is it the difference between ensemble and individual,
or something else?

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
OK - not all parts of the play were photographed (although I have a DVD of the lot). This scene from Act 2 has (from the left) Gruber and Colonel Von Strom (me clean shaven and wearing a bald wig) watching Captain Bertorelli doing his Hitler impersonation.

AlloAlloPics069.jpg