Clean Guild T1 12 on eBay

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Very clean Guild T-12 on eBay. Version 1 but with the forward 'ears' of the side-panels cut back. Two 12AX7s and a pair of 6GW8s output; 10-12 watt range. 12" CTS speaker; if not original, as original. Tremolo is control panel- not foot-switched. Paper tag damaged inside and even with the scratch on the control panel, in vg condition.

t112.jpg

dane

Reaction score
Cap,

This amp is very clean, but I question if it is all original. But to be honest you may know better then I. On mine the grill cloth is two tone and the carry handle is a flat strap not a suit case handle, like the one in this photo, (although mine is black not brown). The speaker as you mentioned looks totally different then the CTS in mine which is clearly marked with a plastic cover over the magnet. My point being this is a very clean amp but I wouldn’t pay the asking price until I was convinced it hasn’t been tinkered with.

GuildThunderOne.jpg

matsickma

Reaction score
I owned many of these early Thunder1's and from the looks of it it looks 100% stock. Price is reasonable also. It should sell for more than the current list. The amp is a 1965/early 1966 Model. The beige two tone amp came out in late 1966. Not only did it change the cosmentics but the amp housing was altered a bit and a AC power phase reversal switch was added. In 1968 Guild returned back to the black tolex and also changed to a two-tone black and white-grey colored grill. The early black Thunder1-s with the silver fish-scale grill came with either a single Oxford 12 inch speaker or a 10inch speaker (oxford or CTS). The later beige model and subsequent T1's came with a CTS 10 inch speaker.

M

dane

Reaction score
As I said, I’m not an expert on the guild amps and I humbly stand (or more accurately sit) corrected. :oops: :D Thanks for the info. And with that new knowledge it looks like a good deal. I hope someone here snags it. I’ve had mine since the early 70’s and it’s been a real work horse with surprisingly good sound and I still use it regularly. The only reason I got a second amp was for reverb. :wink:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dane; Mike/matsickma knows his Guild amp beans better than anyone else around here. Guild did produce the Thunder 1s and Thunder 1 RVTs in two versions. The earlier versions (like the auction amp) have 'D' handles, no chassis straps, almost always black, and an upper back panel to cover the electronics. The later versions had strap handles, chassis straps, almost always beige, and an exposed, steel vertical chassis back panel eliminating the upper back panel. I agree with Mike about the market value of the T1s/T1 RVTs, ... they are seriously under-appreciated ... as are the big piggyback heads/cabs. CJ