Egnater Amplifiers

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Anyone here familiar with the Egnater amplifiers. Musicians Friend highlighted them in one of the catalogs in the summer. I went on they website after I saw the Musicians Friend info and liked what I read about Mr Egnater and his designs. Yesterday I stopped in a Guitar Center and saw them up close and they looked pretty well build. What caught my eye is the new Rebel-30 which has two channels and a cool feature where you have both 6V6 and El84 power tubes that can be blended together. I didn't get to try one out so figured I would start here for opnions about this amplifier brand and tone.

The last time I owned a "modern" amp was when I picked up a Fender Blues Jr 9 years ago. This is a pretty basic amp and doesn't have any of the features of the Egnater except EL84 tubes.

What do you think?

M

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
I never played one, mat,
but from what I have read and heard on youtube and forums it seems to be a very promising amp.
but: it got digital reverb and I reckon it to lack a bit of character.
maybe one of those could also be a choice for you?
http://www.guytron.com/

caveman

Reaction score
Mr. Egnater himself visited the music shop I work in last week, promoting this line of amps, and I played the Rebel 30 shortly.(2x12) For the price they are asking, you seem to get a very decent built amplifier with some unique options. Digital reverb wasn't a plus for me personally, and the blending or changing of tubes in this design only shine through when you play it loud (and it's VERY loud for a 30 watts amp, similar to a Vox AC30). But that aside, it sounds great for a channel switching modern rock amp, clean sound is fine with lots of headroom, and the OD chanel has a broad range from light crunch to heavy lead stuff. The Renegade amp they make is along the same lines, but sounds a bit more 'American' to me, and seems to be easier on volume control. Mr. Egnater himself is very approachable and knows his stuff, but I also think that the only way to know if it's the one for you : go play it for awhile !

matsickma

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm bummed to hear about the digital reverb.

I got to try one of these out to see the output tube blend function.

I really dug the way they looked. Kind of have the cosmetic features of the high end Bogner amps.

I'm not hot to buy but might consided it if the sales are good for the holidays.

M

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
The concept behind those seems pretty intriguing. I especially like the fact that they don't cost $1000+.